cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spam & blacklist

wingates
On our wavelength

I am being bombarded by spam where the start oh their email address changes slightly every time so blacklisting each email is pointless. All come from `noreplyxxxxx@moma.org`  where the xs are different numbers all the time.Any help please?

63 REPLIES 63

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

See Single Multi-Spam filter.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

ALF28
Super solver

I also am bombarded with spam from moma and similar emails which are the same as tribelive just a different sender name. My blacklist also filled up, not much use as spammer using hashbusting software to change sender address each time it only affect old addresses so best to create a new email address and ditch old one or stop using it.

The spam  emails I get usually come via amazonaws or ICLOUD and involve mailing lists and direct mailers such as mailgun, these guys are professional spammers and virgin media can not stop them, I have had them since 2016, filters also can be set but n the sender name changes every few weeks.

Even on spam rejection setting they still get through so once they have your email it is a lost cause, I send them a vac notice telling them to remove my address but it has no effect, direct contact with spammers not advised, it makes life awkward trying to pick out any genuine emails among the spam. Best not to click on any links.

boothy99
Fibre optic

Thanks for linking to the post, 用心棒. I've updated the list and might as well copy the instructions here again ...

Try this multi-spam filter, (which I've added recent offenders to the front of the list). Variable parts of the spam addresses are omitted and should (currently) work.

SINGLE MULTI-SPAM FILTER....

BIG kudos to 用心棒 in the help given setting this up in the first place ....

=============================================

Try setting up this (or your own) filter rule using VIRGIN WEBMAIL  .....

Click menu (top right) / Settings / Email (left menu) / Filter Rules / Add New Rule.
Name it as you wish - (mine is "MULTIPLE Spam - FROM-REGEX (orange)", ...
Add Condition "From" .....
Now click on "Condition" & change it to "Regex"
In the Regex box, .... copy and paste these recent filters (add your own if you need to, but make sure to add the spacer bar in-between without any spaces).............

@welshrugby.wales|@em.cowshed.com|info@email|@email.startribune.com|@moma.org|from@amazonaws.com|@openface.ca|@therdancer|from@telegram.org|onlineapplylearn|chatbot4u|cartimex|extremegb|@NextEmail.co.uk|@e1.llbean.com|@leveltimeshort|@individualdedicated|headlines@trib|latimes|CustomerService@Munchies|admin@turnoutpac|TUT.com|goodhousekeeping@|TermLifeAlert@|CryptoLibra|info.dealmates.com|learning@ionbeamservices.co.uk|TestersKeepers|info@email|@trib|FlexibleDigitalSolutions|@uaonlineshop.com|microsoftstore@micserv|itcoin|from@privateserverspoint

Add a coloured flag (so that on webmail, you'll see whether the filter sent your rubbish to the spam folder, or Virgin did it.).. and select "Send to Spam" as final Action. Save, and it should then look like this......

SmartSelect_20200209-091526_Dolphin.jpg

All or most of the spam-crud should be sent straight to the Spam folder, with the coloured flag of your choice showing alongside the crud if viewed on Virgin Webmail.
If sent to your Spam folder (rather than Bin) then Virgin's filtering system (MIGHT) eventually learn that it is what it is .... SPAM !!!

Hi ALF28,

Firstly don't ever click on the unsubscribe link. As you've found out - it doesn't work. It just alerts the scum that your email is an active address, continue sending and sell it on, so you get even more.

Also, as you've found out, Blacklisting is a waste of time. They auto-generate spoof sender addresses. Try the multi-spam filter above, which already includes "trib", "amazonaws", "moma", (not ICLOUD" ....you can add that one yourself. See instructions above).

The filter is never a permanent fix, but it's easier to edit a single filter by adding a new scum-spam address as they come through, omitting the parts that change regularly. So far, it's working fine for me.

boothy99
Fibre optic

Apologies, the filter screenshot was incomplete, missing out the "file to spam". Here's how it should look -

SmartSelect_20200210-083845_Dolphin.jpg

my spam was similar to yours, I have set filters also to direct spam to a folder, one for each sender but lately the spam sender address changes so often with a new set of nunbers/letters to change address. the blacklist is set up on mine with hundreds of entries but rarely catches anything due to the hash busting software/bots they use. It is almost as if the spam sender knows what filters are set up and changes accordingly , they seem to have inside knowledge of virgin systems and can so easily bypass virgin spam filters, I only rarely get a spam email actually tagged as spam these days. perhaps the spammers are far to clever for the virgin technical engineers to combat them?

sometimes I think the spammer has access to my account as they send emails from past contacts and seem to know what filters I set up and change sender address immediately ,I regularly change my password and so easy to get paranoid. Virgin can not remove the old ntlworld primary email address,and I suppose similar with other old address's.

I no longer use this address but do monitor it as it is connected to my virgin account so is still viable.

Thanks for posting ALF28

I'm really sorry your email address is causing you to have concerns.  I would recommend if you're able to do so, a full virus and anti-spyware check on your devices and then after this change your password again,

I hope this helps.

Regards

Lee_R

thanks for advice, I have done what you have suggested and changed password and do regular scans for malware with two malware virus scanners, perhaps the spam especially from adds for bitcoin need filtering but they change the details each time, are annoying as I have never used bitcoin

i will certainly feed this back on your behalf ALF28

Our security team are usually very on the ball.  If they suspect your account has been hacked they're very quick to act.

Regards

Lee_R