Menu
LilyPop
Tuning in
Message 71 of 199
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam Email - sysprem.com

Just catching up with all the responses! Glad to see it's not just me having this problem, and that hopefully work is underway to fix it! At least all my spam is now going into the spam folder, none (touch wood!) seems to be coming into my inbox anymore. I did have a filter set up to "discard" anything with sysprem in it but it didn't work - still comes into my spam folder. I am now just every day selecting all spam for that day and selecting "blacklist sender". That seems to be working for now. I seem to be getting less spam as well - more like 10-20 per day whereas it was 30-40. I got so peed off with it anyway I have already set up a gmail account now for everyday personal email, and just keeping ntlworld for newsletters etc. Fingers crossed all will be resolved soon! Thank you to the superusers for communicating with VM to get this issue resolved.

peterfenton
Tuning in
Message 72 of 199
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

Was beginning to think it was me .....

So it still goes into Spam and has to be deleted but at least I don't have to flag it as Spam each time.

on the question of Spam if I have flagged an email as Spam in Error how do I un-flag it

PF 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 73 of 199
Flag for a moderator

Just go into the spam folder, find the message - highlight it and click the Not spam icon.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
peterfenton
Tuning in
Message 74 of 199
Flag for a moderator

Done that a few times but it still goes into spam the next time I get an email from the same sender.

It is frustrating as because of the Syspem emails I've clicked a few that should not be Spam.

I ended up ringing Virgin before and they had to unset the system at their end last time, I can't understand why I can't do it
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 75 of 199
Flag for a moderator

This is the problem about filtering by looking at a common text string like @sysprem.com at VM's end. Mail that isn't spam (at least not spam to you) but is coming from a spammy domain may be classified as spam.  But at least you have the opportunity to spot it as spam and move it to your in-box. Just think how bad it would be if it were blocked entirely and you never saw it.  better to have a few mistakes than not seeing it or having none of it classified as spam.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Kitt_Cat
Tuning in
Message 76 of 199
Flag for a moderator

While I feel everybodies pain with this sysprem spam email, I am reieved I’m not alone. No matter how hard I try I cannot stop them arriving in my email. They are going to the spam folder but I don’t event want them in there. I want them gone as if my email isn’t there. 

tbernstein
Up to speed
Message 77 of 199
Flag for a moderator

Sorry, NO!

@sysprem.com isn't a common text string. It's a spam specific one. Nothing that comes from that address is anything other than spam. It's spam. Sysprem.com is a source of spam emails.

Try going to it in a browser. (Use a well protected device or a Virtual Machine).

Mostly a happy customer.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 78 of 199
Flag for a moderator

Hi Everyone

With regards to SYSPREM.COM emails I've just sent Amazon the 14 mails I received yesterday.

If you do want to follow my example here's what I did - (using Windows)

1, Went into webmail and put sysprem.com into the search bar.
2. Ticked all the mails I received in a 24 hour period.
3. Clicked the Menu Icon and then Download - which downloads all the ticked mails as a Zip file.
4. Unzipped the file and allowed Windows to take me straight into the unzipped folder.
5. Opened Powershell and navigated to the folder by using cd C:\Users\<myusername>\Downloads\mails
6. Combined the source into one long text file by using cat *.eml  >> combined.txt
7. Opened combined.txt in notepad and selected all the text and hit Ctrl+C
8. Drafted an email to abuse@amazonaws.com and hit Ctrl+V to paste in the source code

I'm going to be sending them 24 hours worth of mails until either they or Virgin Media get this matter resolved.

I'm also considering asking my MP to consider whether they might be regarded as being complicit in not doing enough to stop their servers being abused in this way.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

tbernstein
Up to speed
Message 79 of 199
Flag for a moderator

Is there a reason why Amazon? is this spam coming via AWS?

Mostly a happy customer.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 80 of 199
Flag for a moderator

It has been established – see message 19 of this thread - that these spam emails are being injected into the global email system through various AWS (Amazon Web Services) email servers. And Amazon is not, thus far, blocking it. That is why Tim is reporting it to Amazon.