Menu
LilyPop
Tuning in
Message 31 of 166
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam Email - sysprem.com

I've been having this problem too. I was getting about 10 a day into Spam but then they started leaking into my inbox. A conversation with VM on FB followed with then advising me to change my spam settings to "reject all spam". This only resulted in ALL spam messages going into my inbox instead of just some! Every day the problem got worse with eventually me getting 30-40 spam messages per day into my inbox. I tried calling VM but they were as helpful as a chocolate fireguard. A bit of googling myself has resulted in an improvement. I'm stlll getting about 20 spam emails per day but back into spam folder now, a few occasionally go into inbox. I reset my spam settings back to "move spam messages to the spam folder". I am also every day "selecting all" messages in my spam folder and selecting "blacklist sender". Although I thought adding to blacklist meant you got NO more messages from the source, what is happening is I'm still getting them, but at least most going into spam folder now. A lot are from ***@sysprem but there are a whole load more too. I have an ntlworld.com email address. I have now set myself up on gmail for all people conversations and just keeping ntlworld for newsletters etc. At least I can manage my inbox now whereas a week ago I couldn't see the normal emails amongst the cr*p! I don't know why I am suddenly being plagued by these emails because up to about 1 month ago spam was few and far between!

LilyPop
Tuning in
Message 32 of 166
Flag for a moderator

Just counted up! 338 spam emails since 7 Jan 2019 and 17 so far today :-( But at least now in my spam folder not my inbox!

voo7hees
Joining in
Message 33 of 166
Flag for a moderator

I started my own thread about this as well , I am getting loads more Spam than I used to and everything seemed to have started about a month ago as well. Worse on my phone using Virgin email client as they refuse to delete the first time as well , up to 3 to 4 times every time before going away. Report Spam is next to useless and Virgin should be ashamed it's there.
0 Kudos
VIPerson
Dialled in
Message 34 of 166
Flag for a moderator

I've started getting spam from these folk too Getting rather fed up with them and VM USED to be good at weeding out the spam but these folk seem to be overtaking everybodys inboxs at the moment What is going on with VM ? I can't seem to find the part where you all mention adding filters so where do I find that?

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Fibre optic
Message 35 of 166
Flag for a moderator

@VIPerson wrote:

I've started getting spam from these folk too Getting rather fed up with them and VM USED to be good at weeding out the spam but these folk seem to be overtaking everybodys inboxs at the moment What is going on with VM ? I can't seem to find the part where you all mention adding filters so where do I find that?

1. See message 2 in this thread (it is the same method that was mentioned in this thread that you said worked for you: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/How-can-I-block-a-whole-domain-i-e-clialiedge-com/m-p/391...)

2. Also see message 24 if you feel able to assist in getting this stopped at source - which is spammers using Amazon Web Services. 

(Edited to take advice from HowardML - thank you Howard - I am a hot-head.)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 36 of 166
Flag for a moderator

To be precise and to avoid defamation issues. The spammers are using Amazon Web Services (AWS) servers to send spam. Amazon is not doing this deliberately itself. AWS are either culpable for allowing it to happen if they are aware - which they may not be, or they are simply unaware. In both cases they need to be told.

You can do this yourself (message 24), but you should be aware that through our communication channels the Superusers are pressing at corporate level for VM Security to get on top of this plague with their spam filter providers and also to discuss with AWS. There is a limit to what individual users can do.

-----------------------

Superuser since 2015/16
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Whatsisname
Dialled in
Message 37 of 166
Flag for a moderator

Further to MailWasher working well,

It appears that MW is more usefull having identified the links in the sysprem.com emails going back to ow.ly who is accused of being framejacked.

https://www.webmaster-source.com/2009/07/31/is-ow-ly-framejacking/

so if VM look for links in emails going back to ow.ly and we have another means of identifying the spammers perhaps?

Superuser
Superuser
Message 38 of 166
Flag for a moderator

ow.ly are a url shortening service used by Hootsuite

https://hootsuite.com/en-gb/pages/owly

Previously anyone could use these, although it now seems you have to sign up for an account.

The links are merely aliases that end up redirecting to the real web address, it is a common thread I'll agree, but again if you block on such content, the hackers will just move to a different url shortening service, in the meantime legitimate emails containing ow.ly links get blocked.

Well spotted all the same.

Tim

Gotta say, given the name of the company I do love pun in the name of the shortening links.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

coenoby
Well-informed
Message 39 of 166
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

in the meantime legitimate emails containing ow.ly links get blocked.

And that's the problem that email providers / spam filters face.

You stop the spam but you then get users complaining that their genuine emails are being blocked. Difficult to get that balance right.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Glyn-Evans
Joining in
Message 40 of 166
Flag for a moderator

I managed to get through to Virgin Media today but really struggled to understand the lady that I was speaking to. However, after me informing her of the same issue as you guys i.e. many emails from 'contact_@sysprem.com', she told me that I had to go to my local police station and report it to them. Has anyone else had the same advice from VM?