Menu
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 101 of 199
Flag for a moderator

Re: Spam Email - sysprem.com

You understand correctly. If VM are marking them properly as spam then the filers are working as they should. The responsibility is yours to delete otherwise VM would most likely be accused of censorship. We fought this battle in 2015 when VM shifted to its new e-mail system and was routinely discarding what it thought was spam without any customer involvement. It was a bad call then and would be a bad call now. Heaven knows how many genuine mails were dumped. We had constant complaints on the Forum about this policy. You can't have it both way.s

If you goes into your spam folder it will be automatically deleted after 30 days (we hope) so you don't have to have anything to do with it.

VM's real responsibility, which they are engaged on, is to stop the flow of this rubbish (in fact any rubbish) at source. It is coming via AWS servers and that is where we understand their efforts are directed.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 102 of 199
Flag for a moderator

These are still making it past VM's internal spam filters.

But they are getting caught (currently) by the ones I have set.  I am "generally" happy with the filtering section, but I would guess a lot of people don't know it's there.  Sadly ThunderBird doesn't seem to be learning that these messages are spam/junk.  After weeks of training it seems to be ignoring them for some reason. 

Not sure what it is about these emails that seem to make them look so legit, props to the guys who have found the hole that is letting them get passed, may they rot in.....

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 103 of 199
Flag for a moderator

@PJM622 wrote:

Yes, it is a pain - and likewise I have around 25 assorted filters.

But, it has been usefully pointed out a few times in the thread that the filters ONLY work on the inbox. So the fact it is going straight to the spam folder means we're wasting our time with these filters. If I understand correctly.

If you wish to process all incoming messages including spam messages then change your Spam settings to Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox and then create a terminating filter rule to move messages with a Subject header containing <SPAM> to the Spam folder.

BTW if that is 25 filters to manage spam then I would suggest it is time to find an email provide (preferably independent of any ISP) with the spam handling and features of a modern email service.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 104 of 199
Flag for a moderator

@BeginnersLuck wrote:

I just tried sending the source info to abuse@amazonaws.com, as suggested, but got a message saying the email couldn't be sent because it contained spam content.

Oh dear!

I used to think the spam content warning was due to Virgin Media's spam filters having learnt to identify the spam message between receipt and the send attempt but instead it is a simplistic trigger for the text sysprem.com in the message subject header or body and does nothing to stop the spammers; that is why anyone subscribed to this thread will find alerts in their spam folder.

0 Kudos
AndyPandy3
On our wavelength
Message 105 of 199
Flag for a moderator

It’s beyond a joke now, and very annoying, yes more get to the spam folder, but I am getting 10-12 Spam messages a day. Whilst some photos are held back, this is costing me money, delering them, when on my mobile. Yes someone will say well you could do it at home, but I have to check, as expecting important e mails in.

i tried sending details to the Spam filtering service, quoted elsewhere.

But why can’t VM just block this user? We know who they are, just block them. 

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 106 of 199
Flag for a moderator

if only it was legally that easy.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
tbernstein
Up to speed
Message 107 of 199
Flag for a moderator

Legally? Since when was there a legal issue? All ISPs block spam. And sysprem.com is the worst example I've seen in the history of the internet.

@apcyberax wrote:
if only it was legally that easy.

Mostly a happy customer.
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 108 of 199
Flag for a moderator

ISP filter spam they should never block it.
Whos to say what is spam.
what you think is spam might be something someone else wants.

If the person who sends the email loses money and sues could they win? maybe if they are making money from something legal. spam or not. they have a claim for loses.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 109 of 199
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to disagree with Appy here.

Spam is regarded as unwanted and UNSOLICITED marketing mail and the sending of such is illegal under UK law  The mails from sysprem.com clearly fall into that category.

The problem is that the ICO themselves can only take action against senders based in the UK, whether the senders of sysprem.com mail could actually be prosecuted depends on the law in the country where they are based.  Note: in order to prosecute it is also necessary to identify the individual/s responsible.

I do recommend everyone who is getting spam from sysprem.com getting in touch with the ICO though to see if they can help, as although they can't prosecute foreign individuals, they are able to liaise with other agencies abroad.  Furthermore we know that these mails are coming through Amazon's AWS servers, so they may be able to request information from Amazon in order to identify the acutal spammers or they may ask that Amazon take firmer action to stop people abusing their servers in this way.

Tim 

Use Kudos to say thanks

VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 110 of 199
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 wrote:

BTW if that is 25 filters to manage spam then I would suggest it is time to find an email provide (preferably independent of any ISP) with the spam handling and features of a modern email service.

I have nearly 30 "conditions" set for things I send to "spam".

Once you make a spam list it can take years to be pushed off of it.  My wife gets a lot of "spam", but none of my accounts (20+) get any spam (that gets past the spam filter anyway).  The spam for my wife started back in 2016 with a large leak from Nissan (Modern Business Solutions), about 58 million people were hit by that leak.   So I cant fully blame her (tho she, and others I know think CC emails between large groups of people is okay).

I just find it odd that the filters (even today) are NOT working against the ones tagged with this sysprem.com

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.