cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some emails are not arriving

FoolFeast
Tuning in

Some emails are not arriving in my Inbox. There are emails from at least three organisations which never arrive.

I have checked all Filters, Rules, Spam settings and the Blacklist but there is nothing that should affect the emails that have been sent to me from those organisations.

My Virgin Media email is a secondary account. The holder of the primary account receives emails from the same organisations without a problem.

Please can you help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@FoolFeast wrote:

The holder of the primary account receives emails from the same organisations without a problem.

The fact that another VM email account can receive emails from those organisations does suggest that it is something within your VM Webmail account that is blocking the emails.

You say you have checked your filter rules" and "there is nothing that should affect the emails that have been sent to me from those organisations".  The key phrase there is "should affect"😉

Unfortunately, filter rules can sometimes have unexpected consequences especially if they have been set up to deal with certain types of spam and they sometimes catch genuine emails as well.

If you do have any filter rules, I would suggest disabling them all for the moment and seeing if new emails from the affected senders start coming through.

The other question to ask is whether the emails the primary account holder is receiving are the same type as the ones you are not getting?

Just to explain that. Many large organisations often have separate  email services dealing with specific types of email.

So for example, they often employ third party systems to manage and send their regular newsletters to subscribers, or to send transactional emails, such as confirmation of purchases. If that system is not set up correctly VM may block those emails because they appear to come from a different organisation to the one in the email's "From " address.

However, emails sent by employees of the company, say in answer to a specific query, will come through the company's inhouse email service and will not fail VM's security checks.

Therefore, although the primary account holder is getting emails from these 3 organisations it may be because they are getting a different type of email from them which are unaffected by the blocking you are seeing.

To come back to what I said earlier though, my first suggestion would be to temporarily disable any filters and see if that solves it. If it does, you can re-enable the filters one at a time to identify which one or ones are causing the problem.

Hope that helps.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@FoolFeast wrote:

The holder of the primary account receives emails from the same organisations without a problem.

The fact that another VM email account can receive emails from those organisations does suggest that it is something within your VM Webmail account that is blocking the emails.

You say you have checked your filter rules" and "there is nothing that should affect the emails that have been sent to me from those organisations".  The key phrase there is "should affect"😉

Unfortunately, filter rules can sometimes have unexpected consequences especially if they have been set up to deal with certain types of spam and they sometimes catch genuine emails as well.

If you do have any filter rules, I would suggest disabling them all for the moment and seeing if new emails from the affected senders start coming through.

The other question to ask is whether the emails the primary account holder is receiving are the same type as the ones you are not getting?

Just to explain that. Many large organisations often have separate  email services dealing with specific types of email.

So for example, they often employ third party systems to manage and send their regular newsletters to subscribers, or to send transactional emails, such as confirmation of purchases. If that system is not set up correctly VM may block those emails because they appear to come from a different organisation to the one in the email's "From " address.

However, emails sent by employees of the company, say in answer to a specific query, will come through the company's inhouse email service and will not fail VM's security checks.

Therefore, although the primary account holder is getting emails from these 3 organisations it may be because they are getting a different type of email from them which are unaffected by the blocking you are seeing.

To come back to what I said earlier though, my first suggestion would be to temporarily disable any filters and see if that solves it. If it does, you can re-enable the filters one at a time to identify which one or ones are causing the problem.

Hope that helps.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to reply.

I should have been unambiguous in my first request for help - I have no filters set at all and there are no Holiday Notices, no Auto Forwarding and the only SPAM setting is to move messages to the Spam folder (to be clear, the missing messages are not turning up in that folder, either). No addresses are blacklisted.

The primary account holder is getting all messages (e.g. mailing list messages and personal ones) from the three organisations whereas I don't. I get mailing list messages from one of the organisations but not personal ones from the same organisation. I don't receive any messages of either kind from the other two organisations. 

If you have feel able to make any other suggestions, I'd be grateful but I know it's not your job so thank you anyway.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@FoolFeast wrote:

If you have feel able to make any other suggestions, I'd be grateful but I know it's not your job so thank you anyway.

No problem, I try to help where I can. 😁

Tracking down what's going on in cases like this is never easy.

Have you been in touch with any of these organisations to ask about the missing emails? It would be very helpful to see if they get back any error messages when they try to send you emails. At the very least you could double check that they have your correct email address. Believe or not, there have been cases like this on the forum where an incorrectlly enetered email address was the answer!

Also, are you able to say which organisations these are?  That would be useful to see if anyone-else is having the same or similar issues.

One other thing, what happens if the primary account holder forwards one of the emails that they received but you did not? Do you getthat email?

Coenoby

Thank you for your continued support and encouragement.🙏

I've been in touch with one of the three organisations several times and they haven't said that they receive error messages. As far as they are concerned, they think I've received their emails. They do have my correct email address.

One of the three organisations is Eventbrite. They, too, have my correct email address. I know this because I can use their website to access my account and can check my profile and details. Yet I never receive any emails confirming tickets for which I register, even though the registration is shown on my account pages. Maybe others have similar problems receiving Eventbrite emails?

The primary account holder has forwarded emails from the three organisations and I have received them without a problem.

I hope that maybe Virgin Media itself can start looking into this.

Thanks again and fingers crossed for a solution.🤞

Hello FoolFeast

Thanks for your post

Sorry to hear about the none receipt of emails
I can look into this for you 
If you don't mind, I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L