cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow arrival of Emails.

jonboy4969
Tuning in

I have had nothing but issues with Virgin Mail for years, from emails sent to me bouncing, to the account being unavailable for upto to a week, with LITTLE to NO help from those that are supposed to help, who then call you ONE MONTH later to ask if it has been resolved... and NOW, it is taking upto 48 hours for emails to appear, I sent myself two yesterday from a gmail account, the second arrived after two hours, the first has yet to arrive, I received three daily emails from ebay today, each dated 6th, 7th and 8th, I sell a lot of items on ebay, and I have had sales I knew nothing about, then six sales come through at once, I have not had my Amazon daily email for two days, and more issues with emails.

My question is, Is anyone else having serious lag on the arrival of emails ?

What is the issues ?

When is it going to be sorted ?

I have checked the issues page and there was nothing to say they had one.

Thanks in Advance...... JON

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jonboy4969 wrote:

What is the issues ?

There is a fairly simple way to see exactly where your emails are being delayed as they are passed across the network and that may help Virgin Media identify what is happening in your case.

If you sign into your VM webmail account and view an email you know was delayed. Then view the "Source" (also known as email header):

source.png

That will bring up a pop up window with a load of text. Highlight that text and copy it.

Then go to this link :https://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx  and paste the text you have just copied into the large empty box. Then pres "Analyze Header"

That will do its magic and you should see a heading "Relay Information" but you may need to scroll down a bit.

email delays.png

As you can see from the example it is easy to see which step is taking a long time. As I say that could help VM identify what is going, certainly without it it's just a guess what's happening.

Oh, finally, when you have got that information, scroll down to the very bottom of the Email Analyzer screen and click on "Permanently forget this email header". That's just to make sure your information remains secure.

I would just say that I have a Gmail account and initially I used their forwarding function but I gave up with it because it was so slow. I used IMAP from Outlook to pick up my Gmails instead. I suspect that their forwarding / redirect function is set to run every x minutes rather than simply redirecting emails as soon as they come in. Therefore there is always an inherent delay on top of any other delays.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

4 REPLIES 4

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello jonboy4969

Sorry to hear of the problems experienced with your email's and the delay in receiving them, we appreciate the frustration this can cause and you taking the time to raise this via the forums. Welcome to the community.

We aren't aware of any issues relating to delays in receiving emails, you have given some examples of recent delayed emails from a gmail account. Does this happen on all devices? Do you experience any issues sending and receiving from the gmail account to other accounts?

Rob

I sent from my secondary Gmail account, but the VAST majority of emails I receive are from general ordinary email accounts from companies, etc, I have some that are sent to both my ordinary and Gmail, the gmail seems to always arrive in there a minimum of 40 minutes before the same ones arrive in the main account, I even have it set that emails that appear in the GMAIL are auto redirected to the main account, and the same delay again, I pay for multiple postage through a courier and paypal, I always used to receive the confirmation within seconds, it then went to about a minute or two, but recently it has been up to 30 minutes, they always used to arrive together, both courier and paypal confirmations, not anymore, they arrive spaced out, so trying to work out which is for what sale is a pain in the U KNOW WHAT...

It is not just those, emails sent to my account from my better half, that sat just 2 feet away, also using Virgin/Ntl, are arriving some time after they were sent, and so on and so on, I had one day last week where it was all spot on, all arrived as they should, my 1am Amazon email that ALWAYS arrived between 1am and five past, started to appear three hours late, then last week again, was 01:02, just once then back to the new normal, I had a reminder set via an account I utilise, to buy an item for my better half for Christmas, it was set at ONE HOUR before, and 5 minutes before, so that I could get in quickly, it was a very limited edition item that they collect, at $35, yes from the USA, I have purcashed many items previously from them using the same set up, I had forgotten about it as the alrm was set TWO WEEKS previously, the first email reminder arrived 50 minutes after the sale opened, and the five minutes 2 minutes after, meaning I missed the item that had sold out... 

NOT IMPRESSED AT ALL.... And as usual no one at Virgin can be bothered, you still owe me money from three years ago, from a mobile phone I had with you, and I am still waiting for you to send me the cheque, it seems that Virgin is now as bad if not worse than the vast majority of companies out there, it was never like this before. IF we had another choice for Internet, then we would be off.... 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@jonboy4969 wrote:

What is the issues ?

There is a fairly simple way to see exactly where your emails are being delayed as they are passed across the network and that may help Virgin Media identify what is happening in your case.

If you sign into your VM webmail account and view an email you know was delayed. Then view the "Source" (also known as email header):

source.png

That will bring up a pop up window with a load of text. Highlight that text and copy it.

Then go to this link :https://mxtoolbox.com/EmailHeaders.aspx  and paste the text you have just copied into the large empty box. Then pres "Analyze Header"

That will do its magic and you should see a heading "Relay Information" but you may need to scroll down a bit.

email delays.png

As you can see from the example it is easy to see which step is taking a long time. As I say that could help VM identify what is going, certainly without it it's just a guess what's happening.

Oh, finally, when you have got that information, scroll down to the very bottom of the Email Analyzer screen and click on "Permanently forget this email header". That's just to make sure your information remains secure.

I would just say that I have a Gmail account and initially I used their forwarding function but I gave up with it because it was so slow. I used IMAP from Outlook to pick up my Gmails instead. I suspect that their forwarding / redirect function is set to run every x minutes rather than simply redirecting emails as soon as they come in. Therefore there is always an inherent delay on top of any other delays.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you I shall try that later when I have some spare time, to go through it all, but it is NOT just GMAIL, it is many other companies that send emails, payment receipts, etc, I have seen ebay sales on my ebay page over an hour before I get the email to say that I have sold something, on Monday I had seen, packaged and printed the lable for it before I even got confirmation...

Thank you for the assistance.....