cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up @blueyonder on new desktop

Mara2
Joining in

Hi all

been trying to set up my @blueyonder.co.uk e-mail on new desktop for over 3 weeks now but with no success.

I have tried entering the settings for IMAP & STMP in various combinations, as well as smtp.virginmedia.com for the incoming and outgoing server, but either nothing happens or I get an error message saying: Attention required and then that my blueyonder settings are out of date.

Help!

10 REPLIES 10

Mara2
Joining in

And now it's telling me that my account settings are put of date 😞

I'm trying to set up @blueyonder on my new desktop; I've entered the settings as per forum link Email settings change - Virgin Media Community - 3369438

but I'm getting the message " account settings out of date" every time

Mara2
Joining in

Hi

hope someone can help. Been trying to set up my @blueyonder e- mail account on new desktop but no joy. I have tried updating the settings for incoming and outgoing mail to the recommended IMAP and SMTP, which didn't work; then I tried with POP3 and SMTP, still didn't work > kept telling me my account settings are out of date.

When I click on "fix it" it opens a new widow and I enter my password > save it but the error message is still there. So I click on update account (or words to that effect) and it opens a new window where the sync options are but the password which comes already in it (as if saved from previous) is nowhere near the right length of my actual password; and every time I change it and save it to my password it defaults back to the original one.

On a last ditch attempt, I used Outlook to set up the e-mail > I listed my blueyonder e-mail address and the system seems to have no issues with that...except that it is not syncing and not receiving any e-mails, old or new 😞

I am completely at a loss as to why it is proving so difficult, especially as I had a new desktop about 10 years ago and installing the @blueyonder e-mail on that one was no problem.

Any help gratefully received.

Thank you

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The first thing to do now is check that the email account concerned is working properly in VM Mail.  Go to https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ and enter your blueyonder email address and password.

Does the account open or do you get any error message?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Account opens ok and no error messages. I just changed the password earlier this morning as one of the messages I was getting is that the password may need updating, so I updated it but still no joy

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In which email app/client are you trying to set up the account?

There are some help files here;

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/manage-email-account

Click on How to set up email on a device.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

I'm trying to use Mail / Windows 11. I have already found that link and have entered all possible combinations of settings and nothing, still get the error message. Latest one was "We couldn't access this account: Blueyonder. You might need to update your password or give the account permission to sync to this device".

It then offers two choices when you click on the account: Fix Account (when I click on this it asks me to enter the password > I oblige, save it and nothing happens) or Change Settings (when I click on this a new window appears showing a pre-saved 15 characters password - mine is fewer characters than this - and no option to even see what the password is so I have no way of knowing what it is or how it got there.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I'm afraid that I don't have any experience of that app.

However, the number of stars showing in the password field is a red herring.  It isn't an indication of the length of the password that has been saved.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Which operating system and email client are you using?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks