cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting up blueyonder email on a new computer

brissle1
Joining in

A friend has bought a new laptop to replace his old PC.

The dealer transferred all his software and files, but he cannot access his blueyonder email account.

Can someone please walk me through the steps to set this up for him - I'm hoping to go round before lunch today (Saturday) if possible to sort out a few things for him.

Many thanks

9 REPLIES 9

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The settings needed are set out here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/m-p/3369438#M157131

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for the speedy response - that's very helpful.

I'll need to discover where the IMAP4 and POP3 setting are to be found, but I guess I can just search in the start box.

I should be able to access this conversation from his new laptop anyway.....

Thanks again.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Unfortunately the Start menu's search will not.

The settings mentioned earlier are configurable from within an email client. It is likely an email client will automatically configure itself with the correct settings from the email address and password information entered when adding it.

The following maybe of further help, How do I use Virgin Media email with other mail clients?, just be aware its link to Email Settings for all Virgin Media domains is wrong and you should refer to that posted earlier by Graham_A.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

thanks again,

I discovered that on their previous PC, my friends had used blueyonder email in conjunction with Outlook.

Using you advice and some options which appeared as i progressed, I was able to get what appeared to be a set up of Outlook, using blueyonder.

However none of the previous emails or folders would download and at that point I was stuck.

The OPs son (who is more computer skilled than I am (i.e. he's much younger) will be visiting in the next week or so and we are hoping that he may be able to resolve the issue.

Again, thanks

There is a distinct possibility here and it depends on how the email was setup on the old PC. There are (bit of a simplification) two main ways by which an email client can be setup, using what is called POP or IMAP. Both appear to do the same what what is happening behind the scenes is quite different.

With POP new email is downloaded from the server onto the local machine and then deleted from the server (in VM’s case, for historic reasons it’s not exactly deleted but rather marked as ‘downloaded and read so ignore in future’). Sent email is not uploaded to the server for long term storage at all and only exists on the local machine. POP only understands the concept of an inbox, no sub folders, no sent items folder etc.

IMAP keeps all sent email and received email on the server and ‘copies’ these to the local machine. It mirrors any sub folders and the entire structure. So if the original PC was setup as IMAP then all the emails would be on the server and if the new laptop was also set up with an IMAP connection, then it would pickup all the historic emails from the inbox and sent items.

So if your friend’ PC was originally set up as a POP connection, then there won’t be any inbox or sent items email on the server to download - everything would exist only on the old PC and would need to be extracted form that and copied to the new laptop.

If you send your friend a new email, does he receive it on the new laptop setup? Additionally if you send an email from it, is it received OK?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If the account on the new laptop is set to use the IMAP protocol it should show everything that is held on the VM servers for the account regardless of whether the previous set up used POP3.

Check what is available on the servers by logging into the email account via the VM Mail webmail page:

https://mail2.virginmedia.com/

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

You guys are being very helpful, but unfortunately I'm getting out of my depth.

So I've forwarded these links to my friend's son and hope that he can do something.

Yes I did try to send an email to the "new" account and it didn't arrive.

I should have tried to send an email from the a/c, but didn't think of it.  The friend doesn't have the expertise to work out how to try....

Thanks again

Hi @brissle1,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you are having issues while trying to set you your new email. We are however glad our community has been able to advise on this. Please do let us know how your friend's son gets on and if you need any further help.

Thanks, 

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you Akua,

I have sent my friends son a link to this forum and he says that he has sufficient knowledge to follow the advice helpfully given in these posts.

He will be visiting my friend next weekend and I hope all will be good.

There were several other issues setting up the new laptop which I have been able to help with.

I realise, now, how complicated these matters are for someone who has no computer knowledge, other than using Word / Excel / Photos / Google and email which have already been set up for them.

But with a fair wind, everything will be sorted.

Thanks