cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Setting Up Email in Outlook

aceatco
Dialled in

I have a very old ntlworld.com email address which I don't use but it occasionally receives email. I recently did a clean install of Windows on a new SSD and consequently am having to set things up again.

In trying to set up this account in Outlook it keeps telling me wrong username or password. It was working fine until I installed the new SSD and is working on my laptop.

I am sure I have the correct password (it is not the same combination I use to log into My Virgin Media). Is there any way it could be checked what the password should be please?

Steve
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The implementation of the email address concerned appearing on the My Profile page is that the username for the account has at some point been changed to the one you now use to sign into the My Virgin Media account.  In which case the password for the Ntl world email address will be the same as that used for the MVM login.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

Sololobo
Superstar

Can you still access your emails through VM Webmail? 

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Sololobo wrote:

Can you still access your emails through VM Webmail? 

Just to add to the above the URL for VM webmail is https://mail2.virginmedia.com/

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

Hi, sorry for not replying sooner, have been away.

Yes, I can see webmail if I log into My Virgin Media but the the log in I use for that is not the same as for Outlook is on the laptop. That is set to <name>@ntlworld.com and <password>. My My Virgin Media log in is <name>@<my own domain name>.com and <different password>.

I have just tried setting it up using my MVM log in and it doesn't work. My ntlworld.com log in uses the original password sent to me when I joined NTL World and consists of a single letter and a nine digit number. I am sure I have never changed it.

A conundrum!

Steve

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @aceatco
Sorry to hear you're still having email access issues. Can you confirm that you can sign into your Virgin Media account at all on your device you did the clean Windows install? If not can you try this link to see if you can log in for this page. 

Make sure you are using the primary email to sign in if you have secondary/multiple log in details. 

If you still get the password error, please try the forgotten password link to see if you can gain access this way. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Hi @Carley_S

Yes I can log into My Virgin Media and view the email on the web. However, what I am trying to do is configure a newly installed Outlook (aka Microsoft 365) to POP the email off the server, as I have done for many years and still do on my laptop. The username I am using is [MOD EDIT: Removed] and the password I was first given when I joined NTL World. I use a completely different username/password to log into My Virgin Media.

I don't use the ntlworld.com email often but it is useful 'last resort' email for various organisations to use if my regular email is down.

Steve

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@aceatco wrote:

The username I am using is [MOD EDIT: Removed] and the password I was first given when I joined NTL World.

That is set to <name>@ntlworld.com and <password>.

I think you have two options to resolve this:

1) Sign in to your My Virgin Media account and checking whether that ntlworld email is listed there. If it is there you can reset the email password to a new one and then use that new password when setting up the email account in Outlook. Here's what to do in your My Virgin Media account:

• The MVM interface is being updated but at the moment but once you have signed in you need to click on "Account settings" then "Account details"
  • If the email address is your primary address it will show there and you can change the password from there.
  • If it is a secondary address you will need to click on the "Manage accounts" and select it from the list
  • Once you have selected the right email address then click on "View/Change" to the right of the address
  • Then click on "Change" to the right of password.

2) If that email address is not listed in your MVM account then try signing in to that email account directly (rather than via your My Virgin Media Account) from this link https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ by entering the "<name>@ntlworld.com and <password>" details that you have.

Hopefully that will let you in but I suspect you may see the "Mailbox unavailable" error message, or perhaps "We did not recognise the Username or Password ". 

If that is the case you need to try resetting the password by clicking on the word "Password" in the line that says "Forgotten email or password" towards the bottom of that screen. (That is what @Carley_S was suggesting to you earlier.)

Post back with how that goes.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thanks, @coenoby.

I think I am being thick here. I have logged into MVM using the different log I mentioned above and at the bottom of the My Profile page it shows my ntlworld.com email address, both as primary and alternative. However there is no provision here to change the password for it, only the password for MVM further up the page.

Clicking on https://mail2.virginmedia.com/ takes me straight to my ntlworld.com email without it asking for a username or password. I do not see any provision there to change the password.

Steve

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The implementation of the email address concerned appearing on the My Profile page is that the username for the account has at some point been changed to the one you now use to sign into the My Virgin Media account.  In which case the password for the Ntl world email address will be the same as that used for the MVM login.

Thanks all, that has now worked. I am sure I tried that password previously and it did not, must have mistyped it.

Now to sort out Gmail into Outlook . . .  one account works, two do not.

Steve