Menu
Highlighted
ginmed99
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Server prevents spam from reaching Junk folder

Server prevents spam from reaching Junk folder, causing an error. Only when I click on page, it then sends to Junk folder. This happens many times. Can VM fix this?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Server prevents spam from reaching Junk folder

@ginmed99 wrote:

Server prevents spam from reaching Junk folder,

Your reference to 'Junk' folder suggests that you are accessing your emails using an email app on your phone or an email client (such as Outlook, Thunderbird or MS Mail) rather than VM's Webmail application.

It would be useful to know which app or client you are using.

causing an error.

So what exactly does the error message say?

Only when I click on page, it then sends to Junk folder.

One possibility might be that VM is not flagging the emails as spam but when they are downloaded to your email app, the app itself is flagging them as spam. I have never seen an email app work like that myself but without more information it's the best I can come up with.

If you log into VM webmail using your email address and password here   https://mail.virginmedia.com do those emails appear in the SPAM folder or the INBOX?

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
ginmed99
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Coenoby

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

The email client that I use is eM, and the support that I have received is superb chat and Teamviewer help.

They have done everything possible to solve the problem, and have eventually decided that it was from VM's server.

I will try to explain what happens.

When I get  junk messages, they should go to the Junk folder seamlessly. However, what happens is an error box opens with the message ( and this is only my memory of it, "Cannot APPEND" xxxxxxx " to Junk folder ....etc".

When I click on the screen, the junk mail THEN goes to the Junk folder.

It is a nuisance, but I can still use the email service in every other way,  thank goodness!

I hope you can understand my poor explanation of the issue, and welcome further advice..

ginmed99

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@ModTeam 

I can confirm that this is happening to me too.  Strangely Thunderbird does manage to move mails to the Spam folder with no issues.

I do have a copy of the emClient log saved to pass on to the email team, which I'm willing to pass on to them, Pardon me if I don't post the full thing on the main Forum's but I can see the following errors

MailClient.Storage.Application.OperationException: Unable to upload message "Women's Health reviews the new diet pill that's taking Hollywood by storm" to folder "Spam". ([CANNOT] APPENDing to spam folder is forbidden (0.004 + 0.000 + 0.003 secs).)

Which should help to narrow down what's happening here as the log entries do contain dates and times.

Tim

P.S.  My current IMAP settings are correct

Server imap.virginmedia.com
Port 993
SSL Enabled
Username and password are correct.

If the email team has any questions over advanced settings I will be happy to supply, but please don't ask me the basics.  This is an error when the IMAP client is trying to move email identified as spam from the inbox to the spam folder by using the IMAP APPEND command.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

BTW for the record, the mails are copied to the local junk folder but the state is not actually uploaded to the appropriate folder on the server (Spam)  So when you re-open the client you actually see the same mails are producing errors again.

0 Kudos
ginmed99
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

ravenstar68

Thank you for your very useful posting. That will help 'coenoby' to understand better the explanation of the pop-up error box.

ginmed99

Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@ginmed99 

Coenoby and I don't work For Virgin Media - it will certainly be beneficial to him as well though, but my main reason in posting is to bring it to the attention of the Forum Team, as it needs escalating to Liberty Global (Virgin Media's parent company) as the email servers are actually in the Netherlands.

Tim

0 Kudos
ginmed99
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

coenoby

Just to catch up. Yes, the junk mail goes straight to the Junk folder in Virginmedia's server email, as mine should in eM, so how can that be resolved?

ginmed99

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@ginmed99 

Can you go to the log and press CTRL+A to highlight the whole thing and then CTRL+C to copy it to the clipboard.

Once you've done that open Notepad and use CTRL+V to copy the text into there.

Finally go to one of the error messages and copy out one of the lines (omitting the the part up to and including your email address) and paste it on here.  That way we can see the actual error being sent back from the server.

Tim

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

IMHO the issue is with the email client rather than with the server.

FYI: not allowing APPENDs to the Spam folder is likely due to a requirement of a server side spam handling plug-in, for example Dovecot Antispam plug-in.

0 Kudos