cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server fault?

Markswebs35
Tuning in

Hello,

I am having the E-mail issue despite I’m not a customer with virgin that I have continue using the Virginmedia E-mail addresses for many years. There I have encountered the fault yesterday despite I unable to send E-mail from the @virginmedia.com address despite blueyonder E-mail is still active, but I sent a test e-mail from blueyonder address to the @virginmedia.com address as it’s did not bounced back as it’s was correctly sent to my @virginmedia.com address. I’m sure there is a fault with the server despite cannot get new E-mail or won’t sent that settings & password is all correctly set up. Please could you check the server that I think it’s down for some reason despite its was working yesterday morning as it’s had stopped about noon yesterday. Can you please look into the fault on the server asap that I’ve have very important E-mail that I must get them downloaded straightaway.

70 REPLIES 70

WelshGasman
Superfast

If you are no longer a Virgin customer, chances are your account has been deleted in a clean up process? You were only meant to have it for a further 90 days anyway, so you have done really well in having access to it all this time.?

If it helps at all, you can take heart, that customers WITH Virgin, cannot access their mail either, now and again at the moment, due to what are likely badly configured settings.

Markswebs35
Tuning in

hi guys,

despite I’m no longer with Virginmedia that I have been using the Virginmedia E-mail addresses all the time past the 90days after I left Virginmedia since august 2019 despite there is no virgin service in DL3 area of Darlington. So I have to continue using the old Virginmedia E-mail address for all 2 years every day as it’s still working that I used them on all my devices eg the desktop computer & my iOS iPad too. On Wednesday 27 October in the morning from 11am I went to check my iPad for new E-mail as this has come through into the mail app, but until around mid afternoon when I tried to send an urgent e-mail this wouldn’t be sent off as it’s remain in the outbox folder.I have tried all sort to try to get the problem fixed as I went to the desktop computer & I opened the ms office outlook2010 there was box popped asking me to insert the password in despite the password were in fact is correct plus both imap & smtp server settings is all correctly set up including the server port number is correctly set up by default.

I have tried to accessed webmail as my e-mail doesn’t recognised at all despite my E-mail address it’s still active on the mail server, but tried to get password reset as it’s said (we haven’t be able to find your account with the E-mail address you provided). It is very extremely important that there I have a legal dispute E-mail on my Virginmedia E-mail address which it’s must be accessed asap unless a person could take me to court if I do not get them to read it & send the reply it’s urgent.

I have gathered evidence I got two error message from the mail server is:

Error (0x80042109)

error (0x80042108)

i have sent 6 tests E-mail to my main Virginmedia E-mail address that the test mail was sent from another address as it’s did got through to the mail server eg from blueyonder.co.uk & hotmail.co.uk & the 2nd Virginmedia address still reach the outlook office 2010 and not mine own because there is something wrong with the imap mail server I am so very angry of whether if this is linked to either Google or Microsoft accounts as well as Apple ID that my E-mail addresses it’s registered in both Google & Microsoft & if there a way to access my important e-mail despite I cannot get them to download into my mail program to any of my device due to the fault somewhere despite I sent several test e-mail that I never received the undelivered postmaster’s e-mail at all to let me that it’s cannot be reached to receipant mailbox as the test mail have been successfully delivered to the server waiting to be downloaded to the computer mail program.

see two image show error. If there a way to access webmail from outside Virginmedia despite I’m not a customer?BDC2C32D-E192-4BF4-B95E-1F191068C351.jpeg5E2BA65C-20B9-4E88-946A-332740CE23FB.jpeg

There been no such thing that I sent 7 test E-mail that my e-mail is honestly it’s still working now that it’s hadn’t been deleted at all as I’m sure there must be a way to access it somewhe that  my blueyonder address still working for over 20 years now this is being used all the time as well the Virginmedia e-mail too is being used all the time. Can they sort the fault out asap or other while I contact ofcom & the ico to make a complaint?

There is no server fault, it might well still receive mail addressed to you but that doesn’t mean that the mailbox itself is still there or, more likely that the username and password associated with it has now been deleted, hence the username not recognised message.

I’m afraid to say that the mailbox has almost certainly now gone or at least is no longer accessible and it won’t be coming back.

And what grounds do you think you have for making a complaint? What are you complaining about? Are you a customer of VM? Why do you think they should maintain an email system for you when you aren’t paying them a penny?

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Markswebs35 wrote:

There been no such thing that I sent 7 test E-mail that my e-mail is honestly it’s still working now that it’s hadn’t been deleted at all as I’m sure there must be a way to access it somewhe that  my blueyonder address still working for over 20 years now this is being used all the time as well the Virginmedia e-mail too is being used all the time. Can they sort the fault out asap or other while I contact ofcom & the ico to make a complaint?

The most Virgin Media should do at this point is make sure that the email address has been deleted properly.

From Virgin Media's T&C's

6. Any email address allocated by us to you will at all times belong to us and you may not transfer the address to any person.  If this agreement ends, your right to use that email address will also end and you will no longer be able to use the email address, so please make sure you have an alternative email address and let your contacts know of the change, as we cannot do this for you.  Please see our acceptable use policy for more detail on email address usage and our Help and Support page (by clicking here) on what happens to your email when you leave us.

And from their AUP

Email use

6.5. It is your responsibility to back up the contents of your Virgin Media email account. Upon suspension or termination of services the content may be removed and permanently deleted by Virgin Media without notice.

Note that the T&C's also notify users that 90 days after they close their account, their email address should close.  That they've been lax in doing this in the past, does not mean that they will continue to be so.  Note as well that the GDPR requires complanies to delete or return personal information once an account has been closed.  VM's T&C's and AUP state you should be responsible for backing up your email, therefore their only responsibility in this case would be to delete any information left on the email servers relating to non customers.

Tim

Edit - I should add that Virgin Media MIGHT at their discretion gove you limited access to the email account BUT should they choose to do so, you should not delay in backing up your informatiion.

@ModTeam can you take a look?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi Markswebs35

Thanks for posting. As advised on this thread, if you're not a Virgin Media customer, your email should have been deleted within the 90 days timeframe as per our terms and conditions. It's possible that this has now happened as the system realises the email is not linked. 

I will PM you though to see if there's a chance we can assist. If we can, it'll only be a temporary repreive and we do ask you to migrate everything over asap if so. If not, all we'll be able to do for you is confirm the deletion with the IT team.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Markswebs35
Tuning in

hello,

despite I am registered deafblind that I have been still trying to get my active virginmedia e-mail address unlocked asap as I have tried to get password reset as it’s said this is not available due I haven’t forgotten my username that it’s still active for 2 years after I left virgin media. What the hack they doing of not getting the server fixed as I going to make a formal complaint to CISAS immediately that because I have tried all sort that I have a Rights to get my e-mail immediately because it’s contained extremely important legal e-mail. Where & where can I access the e-mail despite I’m not a virginmedia customer? There shouldn’t have locked disabled people’s e-mail that there should have the option to pay a small monthly £10 fee to keep the account open without any broadband or mobile service being provided. I would like to them straightaway to get the e-mail account login reset, but how please?

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I doubt that CISAS will be able to assist as you don't have a customer account relationship with Virgin Media.

Did you respond to the private message that @John_GS  sent you?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

About two years or so ago, I recall there being a thread started by someone (may have been in the VM mobile section) saying that they were moving to a non Virgin Media services area and insisting that they must retain their virginmedia email address. Despite myself and others explaining patiently that it wasn’t possible and neither could the address be transferred to Outlook or gmail, this person insisted that it could and must be and they knew their rights etc. For some reason various Disability Acts gave them the ‘perfect right’ to keep an email address for ever, and the company must change their operating procedures to allow this.

Oddly enough the poster also said that they were registered deaf/blind and I do seem to recall they were in the Darlington area.

I’m sure that it all ended up by my reiterating that they absolutely would lose the email address and mailbox at some point irrespective of their physical condition and they have to make alternative arrangements. 

Why am I getting the distinct impression that said user thought they knew better and ignored all the advice?

@Markswebs35  Your email address and mailbox has gone and isn’t coming back.