cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server Response: 421 csmtp5.tb.ukmail.iss.as9413.net cmsmtp Virgin Media has blocked your connecting IP x

Rebe
Tuning in

Looking for some urgent help on the error below that is stopping me from sending out emails (I use outlook email client).   

Server Response: 421 csmtp5.tb.ukmail.iss.as9413.net cmsmtp Virgin Media has blocked your connecting IP xx.xx.xxx.xx Too many bad emails have been sent. 

Seen this has come up a few times in this community but not seen anything that clearly sets out how to resolve it. Just several responses that take the query offline into private messaging.

I've looked at the other responses on this and already tried the curl command curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com/ -u username:password 2>&1 | findstr "235 VM".   As for others, this gives me no response at all.  

Have business grade virus/malware software on all my systems and have run full scans -  not finding anything.

Have tried Virgin Media tech support this afternoon and found the service dreadful. Not able to help at all.  Told me Virgin Media email is not intended to work with any email client software - yep, you heard that right and I triple checked. "Virgin media email should not be used with any email client software".  IF THIS IS THE CASE VIRGIN, IT IS NEW NEWS AND CONTRADICTS THE 'HOW TO SET UP VIRGIN EMAIL FOR OUTLOOK' INSTRUCTIONS STILL PROVIDED ON YOUR WEBSITE TODAY. WHICH IS IT PLEASE?  Additionally told that email client softwares are always hacked and that’s why Virgin email does not work with them.  Message here that I’m sure Microsoft will be interested to heart – Virgin Media are indicating that Outlook is not a safe or robust product.  

Virgin tech support also insisted that Virgin Media is not blocking my emails and that Outlook is. I'm not a dummy and do have a fair amount of tech savvy so was able to challenge that this was not the case and that Outlook was simply reporting based on error messaging send back to it from the Virgin servers. Was then told that a password reset on my account would resolve all - which of course it did not. Wrapped up by saying that an escalation ticket would be raised and I would be contacted in 4 -5 days. Not holding my breathe for that though as last time I had an issue and was made a similar promise I never heard from anyone EVER.

Simply not workable for me to not be able to send emails via my Outlook email client for the next week. This comes on top of Virgin stopping me from receiving emails just before Xmas which came on top of Virgin erroneously starting a full service disconnection process (that I had not asked for) in November and then refusing to fix a cable phone fault and forcing me onto VOIP even though it was informed there was emergency call equipment installed that would not operate with VOIP.

So, if anyone out there from Virgin is listening some help please, before I sign off of using all of your services for evermore. 

How can the error message of ‘Server Response: 421 csmtp5.tb.ukmail.iss.as9413.net cmsmtp Virgin Media has blocked your connecting IP xx.xx.xxx.xx Too many bad emails have been sent’ be stopped such that I can again send out emails via Outlook?

P.S. Virgin – when I raised a complaint about the issues you caused me from wrongly starting your disconnection services last November, I never heard back from anyone on that either. 

5 REPLIES 5

Rebe
Tuning in

Hi Community,

Not had any answers or help yet.  Is anyone able to assist?

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Rebe 

I removed your post in the natter section as it's a duplicate (One of the Forum rules is please don’t post the same thing in several places), plus Staff don't tend to look in that part of the forum as it's mainly general chat.

I'm afraid the Forums don't work in real time like an instant messenger system, however Forum Staff should pick this up in a day or two, plus there are tech guru's on this forum with great depth and insight in email issues.

Can you send emails using the web server rather than OE?

Have you checked the following VM page ?

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/my-virgin-media-ip-address-is-blacklisted 

Also as indicated on the above page have you used the  ‘Blacklist Check’ tool on www.mxtoolbox.com* ?

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Hi newapollo and thanks for responding,

New on forum so just learning the rules 🙂   I can send email using web server rather and OE.   I have also checked to see if my virgin media IP address is on any blacklists using www.mxtoolbox.com.  It's reported as being on Spamhaus ZEN and SORBS DUHL only.  BUT, the Virgin help on this at https://www.virginmedia.com/help/my-virgin-media-ip-address-is-blacklisted specially states this should not be the cause of me not being able to send out emails because I am a residential customer and should expect to find that I am listed on these.  Help describes: 

If you are a Virgin Media residential customer, it is very common for your IP address to be listed with the below blacklists because your IP address is dynamic. This is completely normal and will not cause issues with mail delivery unless you’re running your own email server on your home connection.

Spamhaus ZEN

SORBS DUHL

Protected Sky

If your IP address is blacklisted with any blacklists other than the ones above, you appear to have an underlying security issue on your home network.

My virgin media IP address is NOT listed on any other sites.  I do not have any security issue on my home network. All devices scanned with business grade softwares and clean. Any other thoughts/ideas?

Rebe,

Your IP is on Virgin Media's SMTP blacklist, so something has either been trying to connect too much, usually over IMAP or SMTP, or someone or something you have sent has triggered a SPAM trap.

You probably need some one in Virgin Media to check the ACL's and then remove it. Good Luck, the other alternative is to ask Virgin to refresh your IP Address, so you get a new external IP

Hi Rebe

Thanks for posting. I shall send you a PM now to assist further.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill