cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent virgin.net emails going to junk, even ones I send to myself to check/test the issue

77ccs
Joining in

I just changed my email password, following a recommendation from Apple.

My wife has a yahoo account and my emails had started to go to her junk, around 12 months or so ago. We fixed that by telling yahoo system that they weren’t spam.

But when I tested again yesterday by sending her an email, after changing my password, it went to junk

I then deleted my Virgin.net account on my phone and recreated it, hoping it would fix it. But again when I tested it went to my wife’s junk. Not only that but I then sent a test email to myself on my Virgin.net account, but that also went to junk.

all settings on my email account are the same.

Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@77ccs wrote:

Thanks for response. I have BT Fibre Broadband

Thanks for coming back so quickly.

In that case I can only reiterate what I posted before that you need to set up a replacement email address as soon as possible.

That Virgin.net address could disappear literally at any time. The fact that you have been using it for perhaps 20+ years means nothing. It has happened to many people like you and they are always understandably  distraught when it happens,

One problem of course is if you have that email address linked to any online accounts such as Amazon or your bank for example, Once you lose that address you could have problems updating those accounts with a new email address because many companies send a verification email out to the old address for security purposes before they update their records.

Also of course you will lose all the contact details held in your virgin.net account.

Please take action now.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@77ccs wrote:

My wife has a yahoo account and my emails had started to go to her junk, around 12 months or so ago. We fixed that by telling yahoo system that they weren’t spam.

Any suggestions?

For a long time now, it may well be 12 months, all emails from any of the Virgin Media domains (so Virginmedia.com, Ntlworld.com, Blueyonder.co.uk as well as Virgin.net) sent to Yahoo addresses have been going to the recipient's spam folder. I have not seen any reason given as to why Yahoo is doing that.

AOL uses the Yahoo email platform as does Sky, so emails from VM addresses to AOL and Sky addresses are similarly affected.

My understanding is that VM are or at least have been in contact with Yahoo but the problem still has not  been resolved.

My own experience with my AOL email account is that flagging VM emails as not spam works for a while but then AOL revert back to flagging new VM emails as spam.

The problem with emails from your own account going to your spam folder is obviously due to something else.

However, the question that has to be asked is whether you have a Virgin Media broadband contract?

As I expect you know, Virgin.net addresses date back to either the old ADSL service which Virgin sold off to TalkTalk or to their original pre-broadband dial up internet service both of which were closed down several years ago. 

Unless a Virgin.net address was transferred over to a Virgin Media fibre broadband account, VM should have closed it down years ago as per the terms of the move of ADSL service to TalkTalk. In the case of the dial up service you had to dial in every 18 months to keep the email address alive so again VM should have deleted those long ago.

Unfortunately, it is obvious that many virgin.net email accounts that should have been closed are still being used today. The bad news is that for some time now as soon as they come to light VM does close them down and it seems it does so without giving you any warning. There have been lots of posts here from people who have had that happen to them. 

If your virgin.net address is not linked to a VM broadband account I am sorry to say that you need to set up a replacement email address as soon as possible.

Please post back and clarify what the situation is regarding a VM broadband.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

77ccs
Joining in

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@77ccs wrote:

Thanks for coming back so quickly.

In that case I can only reiterate what I posted before that you need to set up a replacement email address as soon as possible.

That Virgin.net address could disappear literally at any time. The fact that you have been using it for perhaps 20+ years means nothing. It has happened to many people like you and they are always understandably  distraught when it happens,

One problem of course is if you have that email address linked to any online accounts such as Amazon or your bank for example, Once you lose that address you could have problems updating those accounts with a new email address because many companies send a verification email out to the old address for security purposes before they update their records.

Also of course you will lose all the contact details held in your virgin.net account.

Please take action now.

Coenoby