cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent email going to junk

ejmor
Joining in

Suddenly emails I send to yahoo addresses are going to junk. I don’t get a bounce back message, it looks normally sent in my sent box. Emails to other addresses seem to be fine. Can you help me to rectify this please. It’s very difficult not knowing that emails I send haven’t been seen as they are in junk. I can not inform everyone I send to with yahoo addresses to check their junk mail. Thanks for any help you can give. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ejmor wrote:

Are you telling me that if one person with yahoo has a message from my virgin account that goes to spam, any other message I send to anyone with yahoo will receive it as spam?

No I did not mean that at all, sorry if that's how it came across.However, if someone with a Yahoo account flags one of you emails as  spam it would normally mean that any subsequent emails they received from you would be also classed as spam.

Surely there is something amiss with my virgin account.

Highly unlikely I would say. But Yahoo may currently be suspicious of any emails from Virgin Media for some reason.  For example, VM's email servers do sometimes get blacklisted as senders of spam but VM usually act quickly to get that sorted.

Also, the issue could be something in the emails you send. For example do you include any links to websites in your emails? Or send each email to a large distribution list?

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ejmor wrote:

I can not inform everyone I send to with yahoo addresses to check their junk mail. Thanks for any help you can give. 

Each email service (such as Yahoo, Gmail and Microsoft Outlook.com) uses their own criteria (so called "email filters") to determine whether an incoming email should be classed as spam. In some cases that results in "genuine" emails being flagged as spam.

Also, Yahoo like most other email services allows its users to flag an incoming email as spam so that subsequent emails from that sender automatically go to spam / junk.

Yahoo will not tell you why your emails are being classed as spam. It could be something in the content or structure of the email or Yahoo's email filter may have issues specifically with Virgin Media emails for some reason. On the other hand, it could be because your contacts have previously flagged one of your messages as spam - perhaps by mistake. 😉 

The only advice I can give is that your contacts do have the option in Yahoo to flag your emails as "not spam".  If they do that, it should result in future emails from you going into their inbox rather than their spam folder.

Therefore if your Yahoo contacts really want to receive your emails they do have a way of changing Yahoo's behaviour.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thanks for this but I can’t help thinking that it’s something to do with virgin for this to happen . Have never had a problem before - I also have a yahoo account and have always been able to share messages between the accounts with no problem. I can ask the person who first noticed this to flag as not spam but I haven’t sent the same email to the other friends who I emailed today to ask if my messages went to spam. Are you telling me that if one person with yahoo has a message from my virgin account that goes to spam, any other message I send to anyone with yahoo will receive it as spam? Surely there is something amiss with my virgin account.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are a number of customers seeing this change in behaviour for email going to yahoo addresses, including me.

I haven't been able to spot any obvious pointers from the detailed headers as to why the emails are being treated as spam.

It may be something that Yahoo are doing to all messages sent from the VM SMTP IP range.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ejmor wrote:

Are you telling me that if one person with yahoo has a message from my virgin account that goes to spam, any other message I send to anyone with yahoo will receive it as spam?

No I did not mean that at all, sorry if that's how it came across.However, if someone with a Yahoo account flags one of you emails as  spam it would normally mean that any subsequent emails they received from you would be also classed as spam.

Surely there is something amiss with my virgin account.

Highly unlikely I would say. But Yahoo may currently be suspicious of any emails from Virgin Media for some reason.  For example, VM's email servers do sometimes get blacklisted as senders of spam but VM usually act quickly to get that sorted.

Also, the issue could be something in the emails you send. For example do you include any links to websites in your emails? Or send each email to a large distribution list?

Coenoby

Thanks Graham ,

i have just checked with a friend who has VM account - she has just sent me an email to my yahoo account and it went straight to Junk so it would appear to be a VM  versus Yahoo issue. That’s a bit of a relief as I thought it was something wrong with my email account. I hope VM is going to sort this as it’s not really acceptable to never know if your messages are being received. 

Thanks as I have just replied to Graham it does seem to be a Virgin Media issue rather than just my account. Will they fix this? 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ejmor It will be Yahoo who need to make a change to resolve this rather than VM.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

But surely VM have some type of obligation to their customers so should be working with Yahoo to fix this? We live in hope!

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ejmor wrote:
But surely VM have some type of obligation to their customers so should be working with Yahoo to fix this? We live in hope!

On the other hand Yahoo would presumably argue that they are doing the right thing for their customers by flagging what they (Yahoo) perceive as potentially suspicious emails.

Ultimately, each email service provider sets their own rules when it comes to handling spam but in an ideal world you would like to think that there are behind the scenes discussions between the major email service providers.

Coenoby