cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sending emails

Aptiba
Tuning in

Emails will not send from Outlook or mail on IOS, I’ve checked all of the settings / ports etc. and they are correct. This is occurring on virginmedia.com and ntlworld.com email addresses on four different IOS devices and a windows 11 laptop. Receiving email works correctly and I can send from webmail on all accounts. I have deleted the accounts and reinstated as well as changing passwords etc. Anyone got an idea on how to fix this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Aptiba
Tuning in

When connected to our hub 4.0 our outgoing e-mails will not send, is this an issue with the Hb 4.0 / IP address as there is no problem sending when piggy backing off of a mobile hotspot

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, VM error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. Open a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | (where findstr && (findstr  "235 VM") || (grep "235\\|VM")) 

Post the redacted results here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Aptiba
Tuning in

When connected to our hub 4.0 our outgoing e-mails will not send, is this an issue with the Hb 4.0 / IP address as there is no problem sending when piggy backing off of a mobile hotspot

Hi Aptiba,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the community. 

I'm very sorry to hear about the issue you're having with your email address. In your first post you advised the address isn't working on your IOS device, are any of these Mobile handsets? And if so, is that on both WiFi connection and Mobile Data?

^Martin

Hi Martin

on the first post I thought it was an email error.  I posted the second update as I realised the error was only when I was connected to our VM broadband. The handsets do send email when connected to a different network including when connected to work Wi-Fi / 4G / 5G etc. 

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Knowing the VM error code reported by the curl command would help to determine the path to resolve this; i.e. is access to the SMTP server denied due to: (a) a block list; (b) from Spamhaus or Virgin Media.

Hi Aptiba,
Thank you for reaching back out to us, can you send and receive Emails via our webmail service, did you follow the advice from 用心棒, to see what the issue us?

Regards

Paul.

Aptiba
Tuning in
Hi All. I was told by VM that the issue was with the IP address and that it expires in 24 hours time and I will get a new one. Thanks for all of your help.

@Aptiba I can absolutely promise you that it will not expire tomorrow and you will not get a new address. You have experienced the standard VM offshore call centre staff ‘quickly make something up to get the customer off the phone and chalk up another closed call’.

Hi Aptiba

Thanks for coming back to us. I can confirm they don't expire as such, unless they meant refresh over the phone? 

Have you been able to send emails since your last post?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill