Menu
andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 51 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sending emails is OK during the day but stops at night?

Hi Coenoby. 

I'm afraid I switched Outlook off and went to bed!

When I opened Outlook this morning though, the message went staight away.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 52 of 97
Flag for a moderator

@andymanu wrote:d!

When I opened Outlook this morning though, the message went staight away.

So that certainly suggests that the problem still exists.In which case, you should unflag the post that you marked as a helpful answer. Thanks for saying that but unfortunately the Forum takes that to mean that the problem has been solved - which it clearly has not.

Removing the Helpful Answer flag will mean that it gets back on people's radar again.

I would suggest running Malwarebytes Free Version again in case it picks something up this time.

Also, I cannot remember now whether you have other devices on you network that may be involved.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Superuser
Superuser
Message 53 of 97
Flag for a moderator

It would be interesting to know what time you switched the computer off.

@Jen_A - Can you take a look at this again?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 54 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi.

Thanks for the info regarding marking the helpful answers - now removed.

I have Malwarebytes Premium and have scanned with it and also Malwarebytes adwcleaner and the Malwarebytes anti rootkit scanner - all scans are clean.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 55 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi andymanu, 

Hope you had a nice festive break Smiley Happy

The SMTP log data indicates the exact same scenario as previous. The only exception (in yesterdays logs) was a VM603 error which was for the domain aladdinsane<dot>co.uk.
Cloudmark are unable to reset that until the junk HTML files have been cleared and the site secured.

But I am querying your main problem with Internet Security to see if they can shed any light. It might be difficult because we know that the originating IP address is yours and I don't think we can narrow it down to devices on the LAN. I shall keep you updated Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

Superuser
Superuser
Message 56 of 97
Flag for a moderator

@andymanu - My question about the time you switched the computer off isn't simply an idle query.

We know from past history that these authentication attempts continued in some cases for around 5 hours all told.  So it would be interesting for Jen to know:

1.  If the PC with Outlook on was turned off completely.
2. What time you switched the PC off.

Then depending on what Jen see's in the logs this will tell us whether or not the PC in question is involved, or whether there's something else on your network that's responsible.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 57 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim,

If I recall correctly, I switched off Outlook at around 12.30 am.

I only switched Outlook off and not the PC; but it goes to sleep mode after about 30 mins.

When I got up (late-ish) the following day I opened Outlook, pressed send and receive and the email was sent.

(my PC time in the time and date settings does not update, unless I do a manual update with a time server - I think it a CMOS battery issue - can I rule this out as having any connection to this Outlook/VM issue?)

Steve

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 58 of 97
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

My other thought would be an attempted DOS attack, certainly if I wanted to knock a server offline, flooding it with repeated auth connections might be one way to go about it.  I should stress that I'm not accusing @andymanu here, but I'm merely ruminating on why we might see repeated successful auth attempts with no email actually being delivered.

If a DOS attempt then it is more likely to be against andymanu than the server; BTW DDOS activity would be more likely if an attempt was being made to knock a domain / server offline.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 59 of 97
Flag for a moderator

@andymanu, are there other devices on your LAN that have your SMTP authentication credentials and remain active between 00:00 — 05:00, for example a router or NAS? If so, then consider temporarily disable or remove the credentials to see if the problem persists.

andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 60 of 97
Flag for a moderator

No, I don't have a NAS and just a VM Superhub 2. I have a wifi printer and a wired CCTV system into the VM Superhub.
I then have various wireless devices such as 2 x Firesticks, my Samsung Smart Tv and an Echo/Alexa thing plus mobiles. To the best of my limited ability and knowledge none of them have SMTP authentication credentials.
0 Kudos