Menu
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 31 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sending emails is OK during the day but stops at night?

Hi again andymanu,

The same issue has recurred.

Looking at the log data for yesterday (26th), the (successful) auth attempts from 00:00:04 - 00:01:52 exceeded our hourly limitations thus invoking a VM320 error and rejecting auth. After that hour was up the whole process repeats. 

These are auth attempts only - no mail is sent.

The issue ceased today at  08:30:55 with mail successfully authenticated and delivered. The IP address is yours and is consistent throughout - no other IP's involved. 

I'm still inclined towards this being an Outlook issue - if Thunderbird isn't to your liking then try something else, like Mailbird (I've not used this myself so can't vouch for it personally, research reviews on it first).

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 32 of 97
Flag for a moderator

This

Suggests to me that this isn't Outlook causing the issue, but rather something else on the OP's system.

No mail client I'm aware of just Authenticates without sending mail - even when Outlook is testing email settings it sends a test message as soon as it's logged on to the server.

I'd be inclined to do a malware scan with Malwarebytes (free version).

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 33 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Continuing authentication problems with Outlook 2016 on Mac/Windows

I'm about at the end of my rope here - all the bogus authentication attempts cause our breakin detection sw to trigger, resulting in having to re-enable my mailbox multiple times a day.

[source: Continuing authentication problems with Outlook 2016 on Mac/Windows]

Whilst not the exact same issue it may suggest other avenues of investigation.

0 Kudos
andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 34 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi Coenoby,

I've not had any Non Delivery Reports, but your idea has prompted me to change my VM password to something a lot more secure, so thanks!.

0 Kudos
andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 35 of 97
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

This

Suggests to me that this isn't Outlook causing the issue, but rather something else on the OP's system.

No mail client I'm aware of just Authenticates without sending mail - even when Outlook is testing email settings it sends a test message as soon as it's logged on to the server.

I'd be inclined to do a malware scan with Malwarebytes (free version).

Tim

Hi Tim & Everyone else trying to help me.

I have Malwarebytes and the scan did not show up any issues. I also used the free tool Malwarebytes AdwCleaner which did pick up and eliminate two redirects in Chrome but didn't help the Outlook issue. BTW my security is Kaspersky Total Security 2019 and I have and use  Kaspersky Password Manager.

I am thinking of:

a) turning off the automatic send and receive setting in Outlook to reduce the number of attempts to Authenticate.

b) changing password to something more complex/secure

c) running ComboFix - unless anyone thinks this is a bad idea?

Would using a VPN help when attempting to send an email?

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 36 of 97
Flag for a moderator

I am thinking of:

c) running ComboFix - unless anyone thinks this is a bad idea?

Be aware that  Combofix is NOT compatible with Windows 8.1/10. https://combofix.org/

See above link for possible alternatives.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 37 of 97
Flag for a moderator

@andymanu wrote:

I am thinking of:a) turning off the automatic send and receive setting in Outlook to reduce the number of attempts to Authenticate.

Turning off the automatic send & receive, or at least changing the frequency to perhaps once every 60 minutes is not a bad idea.

However, as Ravenstar (Tim) has said, I am not aware that Outlook can simply authenticate without actually sending a message. Indeed if it could do that I would have thought that lots more VM customers would have hit the same problem that you are seeing. It also does not explain the timing issue that you only have problems with sending emails at night.

I still feel the answer lies outside Outlook.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 38 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi andymanu,

I would still like you to try a different client. If nothing else it will at least eliminate Outlook as the potential culprit..

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 39 of 97
Flag for a moderator

@Jen_A wrote:

Hi andymanu,

I would still like you to try a different client. If nothing else it will at least eliminate Outlook as the potential culprit..

Hi Jen,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, what I have done is change my password setting and reduced the send/receive frequency from every 10 mins to every hour. In addition I close the program down during periods of non use.

This seems to have done the trick for now, but I am not counting my chickens just yet!

Unfortunately I am quite wedded to Outlook and have found nothing out there that I like.

Steve 

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 40 of 97
Flag for a moderator

@andymanu wrote:

@Jen_A wrote:

Hi andymanu,

Hi Jen,

Thanks for your suggestion. However, what I have done is change my password setting and reduced the send/receive frequency from every 10 mins to every hour. In addition I close the program down during periods of non use.

This seems to have done the trick for now, but I am not counting my chickens just yet!

Unfortunately I am quite wedded to Outlook and have found nothing out there that I like.

Steve 

It would be interesting to see if the regular authorisation attempts from just after midnight until 8.30 in the morning that Jen_A reported back in post 31 are still continuing now that Outlook is closed down for that period.

Although of course, if they are no longer happening it does not prove that it were generated by Outlook.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer