Menu
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 21 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sending emails is OK during the day but stops at night?

So it would appear those were mostly Outlook's authentication attempts. That leads me to believe this may be a client issue. Might you set up a different client to test? A free one such as Thunderbird or Mailbird should suffice. It would be interesting to note any difference in behaviour.

Keep us updated Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 22 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen_A and Howard plus everyone who has tried to help.

The error happened again last night around 12.15am.

I hadn't been on outlook for hours but decided to try to send a small email before I went to sleep.

First of all I got the message asking me to enter my user name and password for the VM server. This kept coming back every 15 seconds or so, regardless if I entered OK or Cancel. I tried the usual fixes and even ran OffCat but nothing helped.

The send and receive error was Task"......@ntlworld.com - Sending" reported error (0x800CCC92) : Your email server rejected your login. Verify user name and password for this account in Account Settings."

I gave up at that stage and my email is working perfectly now. The email I was trying to send is shown as being successfully sent at 12.50 am ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 23 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Above my pay grade now but Jen_A will have wanted you to try a different e-mail client to test. See post 21 above.

But have a read of this MS help page - have you got delayed delivery options set?  That might explain what is happening.

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/delay-or-schedule-sending-email-messages-026af69f-c287-490a...

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 24 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi

There are actually multiple reasons why a password can be rejected.

The most common is that the password is wrong,but there are also rejections from example if there have been multiple password failures in a set period of time then all clients will be prevented from logging on.

When one client is failing, it's time to check the passwords on any and all email clients.

If Outlook is sending after a period of time, then I'd assume that Outlook is correct, and that there's something else that you are overlooking, e.g. Built in Windows Mail Client, Android, device, iOS device etc.  Even if you think the other passwords are correct, delete them and re-enter them.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 25 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tim,

I am open to all suggestions, but have already checked everything and deleted and re-entered password. My passwords are in a vault in my PC. Webmail works fine both on my PC & phone with the same password. I have also tried clearing all my windows and office credentials and starting again without success.

I do not have any other mail clients installed. The puzzling thing for me is why it only stops sending emails at night (not every night) and not during the day?

0 Kudos
andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 26 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Unfortunately not, my settings are not set for any delayed delivery HowardML.

I will give Thunderbird a try this week thanks.

0 Kudos
andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 27 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim,
After a trouble free period of around 10 days, my Outlook 2016 is at it again - not sending any emails in the late evening and early morning hours.
I was going to subscribe to Office 365, until I read today that they have had a lot of issues today and also on several occasions recently due to their network bottlenecks and overflows which has put me off it a bit.
I have tried Thunderbird but I just could not get into it; I just didn't like the visuals etc.
I am thinking of trying eM Client - is this an approved client with VM do you know?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 28 of 97
Flag for a moderator

VM do not have an approved list of e-mail clients. They provide on-line support for settings in some clients. See the link. eMClient isn't one of them but the settings are the same for all clients. They all work in the same or similar ways:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 29 of 97
Flag for a moderator

@andymanu wrote:
I was going to subscribe to Office 365, until I read today that they have had a lot of issues today and also on several occasions recently due to their network bottlenecks and overflows which has put me off it a bit.

Just to poke my nose in here. I was intrigued by your comment.

I have used Office 365 and its email client Outlook for 3 years now.

I most admit that I am not a totally devoted fan of Outlook 365, as is often the case with Microsoft offerings I preferred the earlier Outlook 20xx versions. Smiley Frustrated Having said that I have found it reliable and easy enough to use and I cannot remember the last time (if ever) that I had problems sending or receiving email.

You say that you have no other email clients linked to your VM account. One question I would ask is whether you have seen any Non Delivery Reports for emails that you don't recognise?

It is possible that a spammer is sending out (or attempting to send out) emails using your email address and password and it is password rejections associated with those spamming attempts which is causing VM to block Outlook's log in attempts at certain times.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Superuser
Superuser
Message 30 of 97
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to ask the @Jen_A revisit the logs and see if there's any attempts to log in from other IP addresses.

I'm not sure that you mean when you say subscibe to office 365 as the thing is that office 365 has different subsciption models anyway including one similar to Google Apps whereby if you have your own domain you can have Microsoft host your domain's mail.

The other subscriptions such as personal and student don't provide hosting but do give you access to the Office 365 software, and if you're using Outlook 2016 as an IMAP client, your mail doesn't go via Microsoft at all (unlike the Outlook smartphone and tablet app which is actually a rebranding of an app by a third party developer that got snapped up by Microsoft).

All SMTP clients talk to servers in exactly the same way.  So if we don't get to the bottom of what exactly is causing these spurious logon attempts, then potentially whatever email client you use could have the same problem.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.