Menu
andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sending emails is OK during the day but stops at night?

Hi.

Yes, SMPT.viginmeadia.com was a typo. My settings are "smtp.virginmedia.com".

I use a wired connection. I can't show or give the exact error messages as it is working fine at the moment. I will make a proper note of them tonight and then post.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 12 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Posting the error messages will be key to understanding this issue and resolving it. Remember to obscure personal information.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Will do HowardML thanks

0 Kudos
andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 14 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. This is a personal email account that I have and have had it for 15+ years. I am not aware of any time restrictions in my settings, but to be honest I would not know where to look.

I changed to Outlook 2016 from the 2007 around a year ago but this issue has only been happening for around 6 weeks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 15 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi andymanu,

Assuming that the email address you're using is the one that you've registered to this Forum with - the related SMTP log data has some interesting information.

05/11/2018 - between 00:00:04 and 00:00:09 you (your client) exceeded the allowed amount of authentication attempts (the amount can't be disclosed as this info might be useful to persons with malicious inclinations, spamming for example).

These authentication attempts were successful but breaching the limits then incurred 320/525 errors (too many auth attempts per hour) and authentication attempts for the following hour were denied. Then the whole process repeats until 08:30:29 am where 2 emails were successfully delivered.

The same pattern of events, minus the successful email deliveries, occurred on both the 4th and 6th.

The attempts are all from your home IP so I suspect no foul play. And it's not that emails are trying to send it is purely the authentication attempts.

No issues detected on the 7th so whatever it was appears to have gone for now.

Just wondering:

• Other client - did you have any mail clients set up on other devices?
  • Email stuck in Outbox? - click 'work offline' via the 'file' tab and delete the email

If the issue recurs please update on here and we'll investigate further.

Jen
Forum Team

Superuser
Superuser
Message 16 of 97
Flag for a moderator

@Jen_A wrote:

05/11/2018 - between 00:00:04 and 00:00:09 you (your client) exceeded the allowed amount of authentication attempts (the amount can't be disclosed as this info might be useful to persons with malicious inclinations, spamming for example).

Is that a 5 second window in which the client(s) exceeded the limit?

0 Kudos
andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen_A,

Thank you for taking the time to look at my issue.

The authentication attempts were as you suspected from myself as outlook repeatedly asked me for my credentials, so I spent hours trying to repair outlook, changing my settings etc etc. I then left outlook open during the night as I knew from previous experience that this issue disappeared at some stage before morning and sending was fine during daylight hours. 

I knew this was odd, because I could not find the same problem on any forum or help topics.

• Other client - did you have any mail clients set up on other devices? - no other clients but can use webmail on the VM website.
  • Email stuck in Outbox? - click 'work offline' via the 'file' tab and delete the email - I tried this previously but it wouldn't let me delete. When I went back online, the same issues were there; continually asking me for credentials which I knew were correct.

I even went on the credentials manager (Windows 7) and deleted all windows, office and outlook credentials to start afresh but no success.

However, as you note, there were no issues last night for whatever reasons. So fingers crossed.

Thank you for your help everyone. If it starts again, I will test your patience again and repost!

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 18 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi 用心棒,

@用心棒 wrote:
@Jen_A wrote:

Is that a 5 second window in which the client(s) exceeded the limit?

Yes it is.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 19 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi andymanu,

Thanks for getting back to me.

"The authentication attempts were as you suspected from myself as outlook repeatedly asked me for my credentials, so I spent hours trying to repair outlook, changing my settings etc etc." - This is interesting. Just for clarity:

Did you repeatedly enter your credentials (into Outlook) from  05/11/2018 2.50 am through to 05/11/2018 4:00 am? 

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 97
Flag for a moderator

No, I didn't as I left Outlook to do its own periodic send and receive; but I did plenty of times before I wen to bed at approx 1.00 pm.

0 Kudos