Menu
andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Sending emails is OK during the day but stops at night?

Hi,

I have an unusual problem. I have an ntlworld.com email address and use Outlook 2016. I am using the recommended settings SMPT.viginmeadia.com, the correct port 465 and SSL enabled.

However, whilst my outgoing emails work perfectly during the day, at some time in the evening they do not go and stay stuck in my outbox. When this happens (every night for around 6 weeks), I get a message asking me to put my credentials in again and the the server had rejected my or it was unable to contact the SMPT.viginmeadia.com server.

If I leave Outlook open overnight, the email sends successfully in the morning several hours later. I have tried using the old ntlworld.com server but it is no different. I have also tried the usual things such as rebooting my PC, disabling SSL encryption etc.

Any ideas folks? Thanks

0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 2 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sending emails is OK during the day but stops at night?

@andymanu wrote:...

SMPT.viginmeadia.com ...

It won't work if you're using that! If you want an accurate diagnosis, you'll have to provide an accurate description of the symptoms.

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 97
Flag for a moderator

I wonder if you are hitting the VM sending limits. There is something in your description of the symptoms that hints at this. Read this:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

The limits are enforced on a rolling hourly and 24 hourly basis. Are you seeing VM 501/502 errors in the Outlook error messages? And bear in mind that "one message to one sender which is cc'd to 3 others counts as 4 messages".

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the quick reply but I thought I had provided a full and accurate description of the problem/symptoms?

What won't work if I am using what?

What further or expected information do you suggest?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 97
Flag for a moderator

I think what SDC was saying that your typing indicates a somewhat less than accurate of your set up and the problem.  This Forum relies on accurate and complete descriptions of issues or we have to guess. 

You should be referring to SMTP (simple mail transfer protocol) and smtp.virginmedia.com (as the outgoing server name).  It would also be helpful if we saw the error messages in full. But as you have now kudoed my suggestion that you are hitting the sending limits that VM impose to protect against spam I wonder if we are not close to answer. 

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 97
Flag for a moderator

@andymanu wrote:

Thank you for the quick reply but I thought I had provided a full and accurate description of the problem/symptoms?

What won't work if I am using what?

What further or expected information do you suggest?

Thanks

I believe SDC was referring to your misspelling of the server name - you typed smpt.virgimeadia.com - when it should be smtp.virginmedia.com.  However, this is probably just a typo in your post.  

andymanu
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Hi HowardML . Thank you for your suggestion.

I was not aware of these limits, however I only send  between 1 and 4 emails per day, so don't think it is that.

Also I forgot to mention, it works perfectly OK in webmail. I am that fed up with it, I am contemplating paying for Office 365 hoping this problem will not occur with that.

Regards

0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 8 of 97
Flag for a moderator

"SMPT.viginmeadia.com" is incorrect. It should be "smtp.virginmedia.com".

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Outlook is Outlook whether stand alone or part of a package deal.

It is entirely possible that your set up has become corrupted (one of the Outlook files) but I'm not sure that this would explain the periodicity of the problem you are seeing.

And if it is not the sending limits I wonder what else it could be? Are you sending over a wired connection or using wifi? It is possible that at night and using wifi you are getting cross channel interference from other wifi setups around you which you don't see during the day.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 10 of 97
Flag for a moderator

Way back when I started a database admin contractor job with a well-known global logistics company I was assigned a workstation which was set up with Outlook and its sending settings were in accordance with company policy for our area of the company - between 7am and 7pm mail could be sent immediately, outside those hours mail would be held back until 7am. It was a PITA when working overtime after 7pm. Could it be that your Outlook settings are set to something similar?