Menu
ColinB60
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Sending e-mails to Talktalk customers

My e-mail address ends in virgin.net and when I send an e-mail via my home router (provided by Virgin Media) to xxxxx@talktalk.net, they simply do not receive it - I have tried several different people. This has been happening since December 2018 and applies to e-mails sent via a Windows 8 PC and also my Samsung smartphone. If I turn off my wifi or send from elsewhere there is no problem.

No luck with technical support - any ideas or solutions?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sending e-mails to Talktalk customers

Hi ColinB60,

I've taken a gamble (can always message you for details if I'm wrong) and looked at the SMTP log data for your Forum-registered email address.

On 29/01/2019 at 21:27 an email was successfully sent to a recipient with a talktalk.net domain. The originating IP address was your own (therefore not sent via mobile network).
May I enquire as to why you think the messages are not being delivered? Are you getting a bounced back message or does the recipient state they've not received the email?
It's possible that the emails are being delivered to the recipients Spam folder for instance. But I'll await your reply and see where that leads us.

Regards Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
ColinB60
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen

I estimate that recently I have sent about 20 e-mails to 4 friends with Talktalk accounts and only about 4 have been successfully received. The rest are not bounced back and are not showing in their Spam folders, they just disappear!

I sent one this morning at 10.37 for example, and it does not even appear in my "Sent Items" when I log on to the Virgin media e-mail website.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hey ColinB60,

Thanks for that. I'd like to look at the logs for specific dates when sending failed, to see if we can understand what's happening. Please reply to my PM (purple envelope top right) and I'll see what I can find out Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I am not suggesting that it is the cause of the disappearing emails but TalkTalk is in the process of upgrading it's email service to 'a more secure and reliable email service'.

As happened when VM moved from the Gmail service to the present inhouse email service TalkTalk seem to be migrating customers over in blocks rather than in one hit.

According to the TallkTalk equivalent to this forum the migration does not seem to have been without it's problems.

If the missing emails issue only affects your TalkTalk.net contacts that upgrade might be a factor.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

While I'm not dismissing what Coenoby is saying, as it certainly has merit.

HOWEVER something doesn't add up.

1.  Why would the emails send when not connected to the VM network?  I can imaging them not sending when you are connected to non VM IP if you're using outdated settings.  (You are using Virgin Media's latest settings?  Find them here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-email-settings ).

2. Despite what's been stated @Jen_A has confirmed at least ONE email was delivered to talktalk after being received from your VM IP.  So lets start with that one.  What device did you send it on, and did the user report receiving that mail?

3. There are two main reasons I can think of why a mail wouldn't appear in your sent mail folder on web mail, with a third being unlikely

• Mail was not sent.
  • You are using POP3 in your mail clients.
  • Mail was sent but IMAP is not syncing the sent folder properly.  (Unlikely)

if the mail was not sent, you should usually find it in the Outbox of the offending mail program.
If the mail was sent then you should find it in the Sent or Sent Items folder of the email program you are using on the relevant device.

NOTE:  SMTP DOES NOT COPY MAIL TO THE SENT FOLDER

When a mail is sent - the mail program moves it to the sent folder in the respective device.  If the device is an IMAP client then IMAP will copy any sent mails to the server when it next downloads mail.  If on the other hand you are using POP3 - Sent mails will only appear on the device that sent them.

For this reason, if you are using multiple devices I always advocate using IMAP , not POP3.

Regardless - Check each of the offending devices and see if the mails appear in the Sent Folder.  If not check the Outbox (this is where mails are placed prior to sending)

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi ColinB60,

Thank you for getting back to me. I've sent a PM with full details but basically, for the dates you've provided, the mail logs show date/time of sending and date/time of deliver including the recipient IP and email address, along with the mail subject.

I think the recipient should check webmail (not client) Spam settings and Filter rules. And inspect all folders including Spam and Trash/Bin.

Client rules and settings can be inspected afterwards but ask him/her to check webmail first.

Keep us updated,

Jen
Forum Team

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to confirm Jen - I take it you are seeing 250 OK results for the mail delivery?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Just to confirm Jen - I take it you are seeing 250 OK results for the mail delivery?Tim

We don't get that info Tim,  not even on the ones OP confirms as having been received. 

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos