Menu
Highlighted
andrewpaul
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Sending Mail from an Alias Account - Stopped Working

I have an email address  madeupname@blueyonder.co.uk – I’ve had it for years.

I also have a domain that I purchased for my limited company  myltdcompany.com

For the domain I created aliases for me and my family so that we could all send and receive from nice neat email addresses that use the company domain and not the blueyonder details.

e.g.

me@myltdcompany.com

mywife@myltdcompany.com

myson@myltdcompany.com

this allowed us all to ‘send from’ and ‘receive to’ the nice addresses above while secretly using the original blueyonder mailbox.  This has worked perfectly for years. We never had to mention or refer to the blueyonder address.

A few months ago the ‘Send From’ stopped working.  ‘Send To’ these addresses is still fine.

My SMTP config for outgoing mail was

Host: smtp.blueyonder.co.uk

User: me@myltdcompany.com

Port: 465

But I now get error “Unable to send mail:  No password provided”…..(there is a password there and even when I overwrite it..I get the same error)

But when I change it back to the ugly original mail account   e.g.

User:  madeupname@blueyonder.co.uk

..my mails send without an issue.

Does anybody know if Virgin may have stopped the ability to use aliases to send mail from blueyonder or virgin mailboxes?  My clients are confused as they are getting mails from me from my old original ugly address and not the friendly alias.

Many thanks,

Andy

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sending Mail from an Alias Account - Stopped Working

I'm guessing you are using an iPad there - correct?  iOS has some weird bugs when it comes to error reporting.  Not least in that an error thrown in this last stage of the email conversation throws up the password error mentioned (I've actually tested this on my own iPad).

Virgin Media have put a number of measures in place to stop spammers using their outbound relays to send mail from other domains.  If you are the domain owner you can amend your DNS have a read of my sticky here

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Sending-email-using-your-own-domain/td-p/3716147

If you have any questions please feel free to post them here.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

andrewpaul
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi ravenstar68,

I'm delighted because this appears to have solved my problem.

I didn't understand most of the detail in the link, but I did recognise some of the settings that I could apply in the control panel that I have for my domain.

I added the 2 TXT entries and immediately tested - to my disappointment  - it hadn't worked.

But 5 mins later...my mails started to send...so I guess the DNS changes take a few mins to come into effect!

Your fix and advice has ended 2 months of mail misery for me.

Many thanks 🙂

andypaul

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

If you need anything explaining in more detail let me know.

I'm guessing that if there were already some standard SPF and/or DMARC entries for your domain that they might have had a 300 second TTL

That means that the public DNS servers would store the entry for 300 seconds - 5 minutes and use the stored entry  until the TTL expired.  This is how DNS is meant to work.  You're lucky - a lot of DNS entries have 24 hour expiration times.

Glad it's working for you.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos