Menu
jimmyd_uk
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Security software spam

Hello, my E-mail address is being spammed with a dozen e-mails a day for security software renewal. I've tried setting up filtering and spam setting but it makes no difference. Any suggestions?

Started happening 10 days ago.

Cheers

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Security software spam

I have also had 13 emails regarding antivirus renewal etc, that are spoofed emails, mine started in june this year but seem to be increasing of late.

If you have antivirus the renewal date is listed under your account in the antivirus control panel usually.

It is usually obvious they are not from the genuine company but from a spammer by inspecting the sender address which usually is random letters

They are probably after bank details or linking to dodgy web sites.

So the options are to ignore them/delete them or attempt to filter them. The sender email address changes every time and usually spoofed so can not be filtered or blacklisted for that reason.

Regarding filtering I get most of them by putting the antivirus antivirus Manufacturer's name into from and subject filters, however as the format can change I usually put several versions, in all  lower case and also first letter as upper case. Rejex filtering is good as all versions can be addded, I set up filters one for "subject" and one for" from" and list all antivirus companies name and variation of upper/lowercase/both

I also get emails supposedly from windows security which I  filter out. Also I get mainly Norton but also Macafee, Lifelock, neither of which I use.

These are difficult sometimes to block as the spammer continually changes the email to avoid filters or blacklist, however some are repeated and the filters once set up should block these.

My advice is never to click on thees fake renewal notice or notices advising your computer has 7 viruses etc.

ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Update-

The spammer must be reading these posts??

The latest renewal notices (had 3 today) which seem to have removed the antivirus company names (which I recommended filtering in my previous post)

So I have will update my filters to include keywords

"from"   notice, Notice, Last, Auto, Renewal, licence, Subscription, Reminder, expired

"subject"  notice, Notice, Last, Auto, Renewal, licence, Subscription, Reminder, expired

upper and lower case has to be correct for filters to work or add both e.g.   notice, Notice, NOTICE

I use rejex filtering e.g.    notice|Notice|Last|Auto|Renewal|licence|Subscription|Reminder|expired

Rather than discard the spam  I send it to a chosen named folder called "discard" I have created in my folders, this means if any genuine emails have been picked up by the filters then I can review before deleting the spams in my own time without the 30 days before deleting if placed in spam folder or 7 days in the  trash folder.

It takes some effort to keep updating the filters. Also filters can at times either not work or wrongly select genuine emails so care is needed.

Looking at the links in the body of the email the text look to be of German origin.

I noticed that none of the fake antivirus renewals which are spoofed are being tagged as spam by virgin which means the spammer can easily get past the virgin spam filtering but as they are not concerning virgin it is not covered under phishing reporting.

notverypleased
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

I am getting about 5 to 7 a day too. Started the last week too. I am blocking the whole domain on typeapp. What else can I do.
0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi jimmyd_uk, can you do what has been advised by - ALF28, please ensure that the mailbox is secure by resetting the password and more in depth filtering/spam rules. If you need assistance with the password change then please let me know. Chris 

0 Kudos
ALF28
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

0 Kudos