Menu
MalandBren75
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Security question

When I go into my profile in My Virgin Media and look at my email accounts I have my mother’s maiden name as one of security question. However the number of asterisks do not equal the number of letters in my mother’s maiden name. I have tried changing it again using my mother’s maiden name and again the asterisks do not tally to the number of letters in my mother’s maiden name. Any help would be appreciated 

0 Kudos
HowardML
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Security question

They don't tally. They are not meant to tally. All the asterisks do is hide your physical password/security answer from prying eyes.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

The ******** are just a visual indication of redaction and are not meant to convey anything more; the underlying data will be as entered.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

There's actually a good reason for the number of asterisks not being the same:

If a hacker knows that the answer is x letters long, then they can limit their brute force attacks to strings of x letters.

So if my security answer is 10 letters and the number of asterisks seen is 8 letters, it sends hackers barking up the wrong tree.

Microsoft's Mail app does the same thing.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks