cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secondary NTLWorld Email Accounts

mobailey
Dialled in

Both of my secondary email accounts, used by different members of my family, have been intermittently unavailable over the past couple of days.  Both through a web browser or through email apps on two different phones.  Both of these accounts are on the @ntlworld.com domain.

For example the website is now saying: "Your mailbox is not available at the moment."

Is there a problem at the Virgin Media end?  There seems to be a number of threads here all reating to NTLWORLD additional email accounts.

Also I note that each email address now has its own Virgin Media account, to log in and to reset passwords?  When did that happen?  Is this a recent, possibly related, change?

Many thanks

-mobailey

4 REPLIES 4

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mobailey wrote:

"the website is now saying: "Your mailbox is not available at the moment."

That error from the website normally means that VM have locked the account for some reason. In many cases that can be resolved by resetting the password for that account.

VM advise:

1. you should change it something you have never used before
  2. you should then wait 20-30 minutes before trying to access the account account.

"Also I note that each email address now has its own Virgin Media account, to log in and to reset passwords?  When did that happen?  Is this a recent, possibly related, change?"

They made that change about a year ago soon after they stopped issuing new VM email accounts. Since then, new customers have to use a third party (non VM) email account and existing customers can no longer create new secondary VM email addresses.

To reset an email account password sign in from this link https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  using the VM email address and existing password of the account you wish to reset.  That will take you to the relevant "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Then click on the "Account settings" tab and then  the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password. While you are on that page, make sure you set up a Password Recovery Question.

In the last week or so Virgin Media have made another change to their email service which means that when you reset a VM email password you now have to generate an app specific password to use instead or your webmail password when accessing that email address via any third party email apps or clients on all your devices.

To do that scroll down the "Accounts details" page to "Mailbox app password management." and click on "Manage".

You can then generate an app password which will be in the format:        video-post-mossy-sharp

You will then need to enter that new app password (including the "-") into the password field in the email apps ion your various devices.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @mobailey 

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you are having issues with your secondary emails. We can understand the inconvenience caused and want to best help. Have you tried the great advice given by @coenoby ? If so what happened? I will be happy to take a look into these emails to investigate the issue. For this reason, I have sent a private message. Please keep an eye out for an envelope at the top right corner of your Forum page.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

mobailey
Dialled in

Thanks both.  One email account has started working again, the other is now fixed (in webmail brower at least). 

There's still a problem on one iPhone ("No password provided...") but I won't be be able to look closer at that (e.g. try the new app password) until the weekend.

Annoying that so many customers are all reporting the same problem at the same time,

-mobailey

Hi @mobailey 

Thanks for coming back to the thread.

Glad to hear one email is fixed. The iPhone, can you try these email settings for me?

Let us know how you get on.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill