Menu
JAS
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

SSL/TLS certificate not found/trusted by AVG when using thunderbird

When attempting to use Thunderbird I am getting the message that imap.virginmedia.com.com993 certificate status - this site attempts to identify itself with invalid information and for the certificate it says unknown ID certificate not trusted.  I am using AVG and when I switch off AVG I can receive and send.  I can obviously tick the various boxes to say treat this site as being ok as a one off exception but I am reluctant to do this until I know it is safe to do so. SO IS IT SAFE TO TREAT THIS AS A SINGLE EXCEPTION ? 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: SSL/TLS certificate not found/trusted by AVG when using thunderbird

Sounds like AVG is changing the certificate so it can scan the content. If that is the case it should be safe to accept it

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

There was a discussion about this last week, albeit with a different anti virus programme.  Reading it may be helpful in this situation: 

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Certificate-not-trusted/m-p/3919281#M168368

Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

AVAST and AVG are owned by the company!

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos