Menu
HUGH_EFFO
Up to speed
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

SPAM

Has something happened to VM's Spam filter ?

For the last week I have been flooded with spam emails on my @blueyonder.co.uk address.

Regards

I am not a white Hat Hacker, nor a Black Hat Hacker, more 50 shades of Grey
0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: SPAM

@HUGH_EFFO wrote:

Has something happened to VM's Spam filter ?

That subject has been discussed here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Lots-of-spam-emails/m-p/3918842#M168313

here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Huge-amounts-of-spam-over-the-Christmas-period/m-p/390621...

and here https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Suggestive-emails-filters/td-p/3903909

Just to repeat what I said in a post in 'Suggestive emails' thread:

The original poster asked:

These (spam emails) never reached me before and I wondered if Virgin had changed anything and they aren’t getting blocked anymore?

And I replied:

There is a never ending battle between email providers / spam filter providers and the spammers /scammers. One side is trying to keep the tsunami of spam and scam emails from reaching your inbox and the other side is always coming up with new strategies to beat the filters and get their emails in to your inbox

Email providers have the added problem of getting the balance right. On this forum you will see as many complaints about 'genuine' emails being sent to spam as you see complaints about 'obvious spam' appearing in the inbox.

There is the option of using the rules and filters facility in Webmail to filter out these specific 'suggestive' emails but that can be time consuming and is not always effective.

No real answer I'm afraid. Just for the record, I use Gmail and find their spam filter is pretty much spot on.Smiley Wink

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
dianas1968
Dialled in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

In the last few weeks, I've been getting huge amount of spam - all going to my inbox.  Today, I've had to mark 14 emails as spam - so far!  In all of this, I still have authentic emails being filtered into my spam folder for no apparent reason.

How difficult is it to filter everything with the words "bitcoin"?  I've been receiving an extraordinary amount of spam having to do with bitcoin.  Honestly, it's getting ridiculous!

0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@dianas1968 wrote:

How difficult is it to filter everything with the words "bitcoin"?

Not very. Smiley Indifferent

See message 2 in this thread to see how you can set up a filter in VMWebmail to do exactly that. https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Blocking-spam-emails/m-p/3900620

Note that in his example, Superuser  用心棒 added an extra condition "if Body contains 'Dear friend'" but it's the first (top)condition that is what you are looking for.

If you try it and are happy with it don't forget to thank  用心棒 by giving him kudos for that post.

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Using Filter Rules to correct minor issues is fine but do keep in mind that by using a different character encoding a filter rule set to match the text string bitcoin will miss 𝖻itcoin; whilst both words look the same the latter instance starts with a Mathematical sans-serif small '𝖻'. To see this issue use your web browser's Find function (usually Ctrl + F) to search for the string bitcoin and note how it fails to locate the latter's character encoding of 𝖻itcoin.