Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

SPAM Filtering

I use MS Outlook as my email client (POP3) and discovered some years ago that VM's spam filters were flagging genuine emails as spam and not delivering them to my Outlook Inbox. Hugely embarrassing for me. Since then, as I am the better judge of what is spam, my current setting is, "Flag a message as SPAM but deliver to Inbox".

Does the above setting guarantee that ALL email will drop into my Outlook inbox, regardless? Or does VM have other filters earlier in the process that might discard emails without telling me?

I only ask because I have learnt today that emails from a reputable organisation have not been getting through to me - nor have they bounced back. Of course, the problem could equally be at their end I suppose.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Dialled in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: SPAM Filtering

If your email has a web interface such as is the case with outlook.com and many others, you could monitor for a while using that before picking up emails using POP3.  Unless there is a specific reason for using POP3 it's normally a lot easier and more reliable just to use the web interface.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Or one could use the IMAP protocol via an email client and that way see all the folders, including spam held on the webmail interface.

Edited to add: no the spam settings won't guarantee all email is received regardless.  As I understand it VM employ various anti spam techniques, some of which will reject emails before they get anywhere near the intended recipient's mailbox.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your replies.

BTW, the reason I use POP3 is that IMAP wasn't available when I first took a VM (ntlworld) email address in the 1990s. I've not been that bothered about converting to IMAP as I work from a single device (i.e. my PC). I like Outlook (365 in my case) as it's functionally much richer than VM's webmail interface. I also like the added comfort that my personal folders are on my own hard disk, which I regularly back up.

Funnily enough, I did experiment with IMAP a couple of months ago. I created a new Outlook profile (IMAP rather than POP3) but when I connected to VM's mail system, to my astonishment, thousands of ancient emails (going back years and which I had long-since deleted from Outlook) started dropping into my Inbox. Literally thousands of the blighters which were still lurking at the VM end - which I never use. I quickly disconnected, restored my Outlook folders from a backup and went back to my old POP3 profile. I can see the advantages of IMAP but haven't had a chance to figure out how to avoid such a nasty side-effect.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

That particular issue re downloading emails you thought had been deleted is down to the non standard way that VM Mail implement the POP3 protocol.  Once downloaded to an email client they are hidden rather than deleted.  If you want to delete them permanently you need to do this via the webmail interface or by using a client connected through the IMAP protocol.

Like you I prefer to keep emails that I want on my own hard disk rather than rely on a third party.  For that reason I have my VM email addresses set up in Outlook using both protocols.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have a feeling that, before converting to IMAP, I should move (not copy) the complete contents of my Outlook Inbox to a personal folder (pst file). Then create the IMAP profile, connect to VM and wait while the thousands of dead emails are download into my Inbox.

Once that has finished, one would delete the whole Inbox and simply move the saved version back.

I don't think I will bother as POP3 works fine for my needs.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

To avoid any future problem with the accidental download of 1000’s of emails, you should archive the emails on webmail. See this -

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-archiving-emails

which creates a folder for every calendar year and you can then delete old emails a year at a time if you so wish.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A wrote:

Edited to add: no the spam settings won't guarantee all email is received regardless.  As I understand it VM employ various anti spam techniques, some of which will reject emails before they get anywhere near the intended recipient's mailbox.

I recall awhile back @SDC found with SPAM setting turned off some message still went to the Spam folder.

0 Kudos