Menu
dd007
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

SORRY Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

Hello,

"Sorry, Your mailbox is not available at the moment".

Since 2 days, no access to my main mailbox while email addresses for secondary accounts work fine.

Helpless customer service: I was on the phone for more than 2 hours hearing "Sorry, we are not able to help you as we cannot access your account details. We transfer you to an other service...".

My account was set up 22 years ago with a dial up line. Since more than 15 years I am only using mailbox service (no other services, no bills) and it worked fine.

Why all of a sudden it does not work anymore and ONLY for the main email address?

I am desperate as I am using this address since years and years and I am not even able to maake an automatic transfer to an other one...

I read some posts saying I should move to an other address: OK but how can I access my mailbox and update the setup ??

Best regards

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: SORRY Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

@dd007 wrote:

Hello,

Exactly the same issue:"Sorry, Your mailbox is not available at the moment".

Since 2 days, no access to my main mailbox while email addresses for secondary accounts work fine.

Helpless customer service: I was on the phone for more than 2 hours hearing "Sorry, we are not able to help you as we cannot access your account details. We transfer you to an other service...".

My account was set up 22 years ago with a dial up line. Since more than 15 years I am only using mailbox service (no other services, no bills) and it worked fine.

Why all of a sudden it does not work anymore and ONLY for the main email address?

I am desperate as I am using this address since years and years and I am not even able to maake an automatic transfer to an other one...

I read some posts saying I should move to an other address: OK but how can I access my mailbox and update the setup ??

Best regards

The above statement in red stands out to me.  Are you a current VM broadband customer?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
dd007
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your quick reply.

No, I am not a current VM broadband customer.

I left the UK 20 years ago aand I am only using the email addresses

BR

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

For dd007 - then I have to tell you that you can't continue using VM's email addresses and servers, which are reserved for paying customers as per VM terms and conditions.  They are finding these orphan addresses and closing them down.  Make haste to save what you can.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Forum-Archive/Backing-up-your-Emails-One-of-many-solutions/m-p/...

dd007
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks

They do that without any warnings ? Only for one mailbox but not for the secondary ones?

It seems very strange to me...

BR

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

They said they were going to contact people: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Closure-of-former-customer-email-accounts/td-p/3977809

But I understand 15 years is a long time!  You should now keep an eye on them all being ACTUALLY closed and deleted.  Run the addresses through mailtester.com.  If still valid, come back and get them manually deleted.  Seriously - they are now vulnerable to hacking and then your personal and financial details can be used without your control, and your family and friends could be spammed.  Former customers come to this forum every day asking for help.

0 Kudos
dd007
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Mailtester.com tells me the address is "valid"...

0 Kudos
Highlighted
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

That means the mailbox is still in the system, although your webmail access is the first thing to close down.  Try using an email client if you have your password (thunderbird is free and easy to use).  You can at least download and save your emails.  The contacts list is not something you can download, you'd have to search through any emails that get downloaded and rebuild it yourself.

The Forum Team will contact you soon and get your personal details by private message so that the whole action can be speeded up.

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello dd007

Sorry to hear about this 

I am more than happy to take a look at this for you 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Gareth_L wrote:

Hello dd007

Sorry to hear about this 

I am more than happy to take a look at this for you 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

As the OP has not been a customer for 15 years, using an email address set up 22 years ago on a dial-up connection, who now finds his email address is correctly being closed (better late than never), what possible reason or need is there for them to "pass security"?

Just curious. Smiley Surprised

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.