Menu
Highlighted
trevor-w
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

SMTP server for outgoing e-mail

In the last couple of days I have been unable to send email from my macbook, the message goes into the outbox and hangs there. I am now starting to have the same problem on a pc running windows 10 with livemail. I have changed none of my settings on my pcs - anybody any idea why this is happening please? Extremely frustrating!

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SMTP server for outgoing e-mail

There have been a few similar posts recently so there could be an intermittent fault developing.  Worth checking that you are using the new unified settings.  the smtp ones are; 

SMTP Settings

SMTP server name    

smtp.virginmedia.com

SMTP SSL

Enabled

SMTP port                 

SMTP authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

SMTP username        

Full email address, for example, richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

See this sticky post: /Email-settings-change/m-p/3369438#M141195

Tudor
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

If you have a MacBook why not use Apples email service, it’s far superior to VMs. You can then just redirect your VM mail to your Apple account. 

There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

As this is still ongoing it may be worth changing the password for the account.  Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

Once you have changed the password you will need to put the new password into your email programmes.  Also I note you say you are using Livemail on your windows machine.  Microsoft are no longer providing security updates for this so you would be well advised to use a newer email programme.

trevor-w
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

thanks for that, just spent 25 minutes on the phone to Delhi (no cost thankfully). Apparently the upshot is that the platform that is used for Macs is being worked on and will be sorted later this afternoon!
I think I may have to revisit all my passwords, its about time they were changed. Surprised Livemail no longer has security updates - it came with Windows 10 on my machine.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Another good one from VM offshore. There is no separate e-mail platform for people using Macs so far as VM mail is concerned.

Windows 10 did not come with Windows Live Mail. It comes with Windows 10 own windows e-mail app. You are probably not using Live Mail then?

Follow the advice you have already been given.

@ModTeam - fascinating advice from offshore. Thought you should see.

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Windows Live mail does not come with Windows 10 by default.  I suspect you're confusing it with the stock mail app.  Unless that is a third party company decided to bundle Windows Live essentials with the computer when you bought it.

I'd also like to echo what Howard said about the advice from 1st line support.  smtp works exactly the same on Microsoft and Apple machines, the server has no way of knowing what type of PC or mobile device is connecting.  Nor does it care.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos