Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

SMTP server denying access

Since yesterday I have been unable to send mails via Microsoft Outlook (Office app).  I keep getting wrong password pop up box.  access using my password is ok on ipad and iphone and I can send via webmail.

I have checked sockets are set to 993 and 465 and correct authentication.  I have deleted account from outlook and now I am unable to recreate.  I have tried setting up via another Outlook profile and this doesn't work either.

I am technically aware so I don't think it is user error.

What could it be?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMTP server denying access

Well it sounds suspiciously like this:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Virgin-email-not-sending/td-p/4468956

Carry out the same procedures please and tell us what you find. And for heaven's sake do not post IP addresses, email addresses or anything else that might identify you publicly!

But before you do that stuff check that you can receive and send via web mail. Login at mail2.virginmedia.com with your e-mail address and password and try a send 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the reply.  My IP address is listed in the CSS, which is probably the reason.

I have installed Wireshark and monitored my main WiFi connection for a morning, no packets captured.  i have set up a hotspot and monitored for a number of hours, with 2 Iphones and 2 Ipads connected, again no traffic.  As the remainder of my devices are static (Hue, Smart TVs, Ring Doorbell, Apple TV, TpLink extender) is there anyway to block Port 25 outgoing on my virgin hub?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

You need to do something more than monitoring your main wifi connection. You need to make sure each and every device you have which connects via the Hub directly is instead connected to a hot spot on your PC so that W/S can see the traffic going from the device and out through the Hub.

https://www.techrepublic.com/article/how-to-set-up-a-mobile-hotspot-with-windows-10/

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

And yes, listing on the CSS is the reason for your problem. Blocking port 25 is possible. But just think. If you have malware on your system, while you might be able to block its output what other damage is it causing to your system and what additional malware might it download? Find the malware. Do not apply sticking plaster solutions.. 

Edit - sorry, I read your reply too quickly. Have you tested each device via the hotspot. It would be unusual for IOS devices to have malware on them. What about the rest? Any Amazon Firesticks? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@rick602 wrote:

… is there anyway to block Port 25 outgoing on my virgin hub?

No; but even where possible it should not be used without first locating and removing the cause as it maybe doing more that sending the occasional spam.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos