Menu
rgifford
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

SMTP Failure

This is now the 3rd time that outlook is failing to send mails and we get the prompt in outlook asking for a password..

Its on all our email addresses both of which are secondary mails.

Emails work fine in the web based version and I have tried the password reset again.. But once again that hasn't fixed the issue and it is at Virgins SMTP server end..

Can we get something sorted for this permanently rather than what appears to be a temporary fix all the while..  3 times in the last 2 months is not good..

This is becoming a bit of a regular occurrence and is very annoying 

0 Kudos
rgifford
Joining in
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: SMTP Failure

UPDATE:.....

So after getting no response here I finally phoned Virgin helpdesk AGAIN!!!

Once again was given the run around for 30 minutes trying to explain the issue to the support desk and 2nd line desk, who just didn't listen to what i was saying and had no clue and eventually put me through to the gadget rescue area again..

Again gadget rescue confirmed there is an outage on the outlook SMTP server (being going on a week now).. NO ETA on outage ending..

How can One support area know about the issue and the front line guys don't???? Bloody ridiculous..

They are supposed to be a communications company, so bloody communicate internally so your left hand knows what your right hand is doing !!!!!

0 Kudos
coenoby
Well-informed
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@rgifford wrote:

Again gadget rescue confirmed there is an outage on the outlook SMTP server (being going on a week now).. NO ETA on outage ending.

I do not want to antagonise but I think you are being fobbed off.Smiley Embarassed

"How can One support area know about the issue and the front line guys don't????"

The answer is they do not know, they simply fob you off with what sounds a plausible answer.Smiley Mad

1)  If the support person you spoke to used the phrase "outlook SMTP server" they were talking nonsense. As far as your Virgin Media email address is concerned your Outlook software links to the Virginmedia SMTP servers (either smtp.virginmedia.com or one of the legacy domains ntworld.com or blueyonder.co.uk) not an Outlook SMTP server.

The same Virginmedia servers are used by every email client software not just Outlook so "outlook SMTP server" is totally meaningless in this context.

2) I use Outlook 365/ Outlook 2016 and I have had no problems in the last few months sending or receiving VM emails and I am not having any issue at the moment. Also, none of the regular users of the forum are reporting problems with Virgin's email servers and they definitely would if there was a widespread outage.

So despite what you were told I cannot see how there can be a major outage of the Virgin Media SMTP servers.

Having said that, there may well be an issue that affects your VM email account (and possible others). That is far more likely than an issue with the servers themselves.

Possibly if you posted the full error message that you are seeing in Outlook a member of the Forum might be able to help resolve the issue without involving VM. At the very last we might be able to get your issue raised directly via the Forum Team (VM employees) who support this forum.Smiley Wink

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
g0akc
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Don't hold your breath - I've been waiting 10 weeks to get an email issue resolved, as mentioned in another thread - I too get the password pop up even though the correct credentials have been entered and password resets have been tried, so I cannot send.

Only my primary account (the one associated with the VM package account itself) is affected though - we can send and receive with the sub/secondary accounts so there's no apparent overall issue with the SMTP server itself - just some individual accounts it seems.