And my O/G mail server is smtp.blueyonder.co.uk

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 26
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: SMTP Failing

I'm not sure how much I'm allowed to say at this point, however it looks like you are being blocked by certain anti spam provisions (ones I strongly disagree with BTW) used to protect their outbound mail relays.

I understand their intent, but good intent is not enough to justify this one.

However one thing I would suggest is that you run a malware scan on your PC - using the free version of Malwarebytes

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
AdrianParker
On our wavelength
Message 13 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Ok, so I ran a malwarebytes scan and it didn't find anything..   tried sending mail again and still errors.

Will run a scan on my son's machine to see if it has a problem.. His machine was at Insomnia recently so could have picked something up there.

If this is a spam filter, how long does until it resets?

0 Kudos
stanwhite
Joining in
Message 14 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Did you try setting the "log onto incoming mail server before sending mail" I mentioned earlier?

Good luck!
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 26
Flag for a moderator

@stanwhite wrote:
Did you try setting the "log onto incoming mail server before sending mail" I mentioned earlier?

Good luck!

From the log provided I can tell you the answer myself.  He has (assuming he hadn't already done so:

2019.04.26 17:47:21 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): [tx] AUTH LOGIN
2019.04.26 17:47:21 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 334 xxxxxxxxxxx
2019.04.26 17:47:21 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): [tx] xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
2019.04.26 17:47:21 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 334 xxxxxxxxxx
2019.04.26 17:47:21 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): [tx] *****
2019.04.26 17:47:26 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305)

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
TommyM1
Tuning in
Message 16 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Hi, My wife and I are having the same problem sending emails from 5 different devices. I get the same error code - SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305) - when I run the log but with Thunderbird. Is there a fix for this or do we now need to use the web for sending all emails

0 Kudos
AdrianParker
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 26
Flag for a moderator

As Ravenstar68 said, run malwarebytes on all of your machines to clear out any problems, then try again in a couple of days.

TommyM1
Tuning in
Message 18 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for that. Have run Malwarebytes on laptop and desktop but cannot on iPads or iPhone as it doesn’t seem to be available in uk on apple store. Can you suggest a suitable alternative please
0 Kudos
DreamOfCheese
Rising star
Message 19 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Anti viral software does not exist for iOS due to it being impossible for it to actually do the job it (used to before it was banned by Apple) claimed to do. Sandboxing prevents apps from accessing files belonging to other apps or the OS.
This also means you shouldn't be able to get a virus on iOS due to the sandboxing and walled garden environment.
0 Kudos
AdrianParker
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 26
Flag for a moderator

Although very rare, they do exist..

https://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/iphone/do-iphones-get-viruses-3655942/

So I would assume for now that the apple devices are ok and just ensure that the PCs are clean

0 Kudos