cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Returning read emails

H1uams
On our wavelength

I have hundreds of emails, read and or deleted, returning as unread on my iPad. This is not happening on any other Apple device that has access to the email account. Any suggestions?

12 REPLIES 12

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Any chance that the other devices are configured to use IMAP and this device POP3?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

H1uams
On our wavelength

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately they are all POP3

H1uams
On our wavelength

I’ve now got 2500 emails coming back. Can anybody help me stop this?

H1uams
On our wavelength

I’ve deleted 100s but within minutes they are all backn again .HELP anybody.

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @H1uams, thanks for your post and I'm sorry to hear of your email problems.

If this is only happening on the device itself, then I would like to rule out a problem with the actual email itself.

Have you tried contacting Apple about this or using their forums too for further support?

The only thing I could recommend at this stage, is trying to delete your email account from your iPhone's mail app, and then to re-add it to see if this still happens for you?

Regards

Tom_W

H1uams
On our wavelength

Thanks Tom_W

if I do as you suggest will I loose all my emails from my iPad. I also notice that at the time this problem started all my sent emails from my iPad disappeared. This has not effected the ones sent from my iPhone. Sent emails do not show on iPhone if sent from iPad and vice versa, nor do they show on mail2.virginmedia.com which I have never understood.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Regarding sent email, they will only appear on the device from which they are sent when connected via POP3.  If you want to see them across all devices and in webmail you would need to use IMAP on all devices.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @H1uams

Thanks for posting on your community forum!

Have you tried to contact Apple regarding the issue?

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consider trying the following before raising this issue with Apple as it is unlikely to be a problem with their software.

On one of your Apple device running MacOS open the Terminal application and enter the following commands where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -s imaps://imap.virginmedia.com/inbox -u username:password -X 'search ALL' | wc -w

and:

curl -s imaps://imap.virginmedia.com/inbox -u username:password -X 'search KEYWORD $POP3Deleted' | wc -w

Post the result output here; take care not to post the command itself, just the numerical result is needed.

FYI the above commands ascertain: (a) number of messages in Inbox; (b) number of messages flagged as deleted by POP3 client.