cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retirement of NtlWorld Email Addresses

Leedschris
Joining in

Is there anyone with authority in VirginMedia who can categorically confirm the position.  A friend of ours has just had their NTLworld email address 'terminated' and they can't get access to it and have lost ALL their historic emails and now have to start with a new email address.  The answer from Virgin when they phoned up was that nothing can be done and they had been warned in April that NTL world email addresses were being retired.  I have heard nothing about this.  I do take careful note of ALL communications i receive and I have an NTL world email address and categorically have not been informed that this is what virginmedia are doing. So what is happening?  I have all my archived emails that I cannot lose .... this would be a disaster.

9 REPLIES 9

Michael_JK

Hi @Leedschris,

I can confirm we have no plans to retire any of our existing email domains. Email accounts remain active for the duration of your subscription with us and are closed 90 days after leaving us.

There has been some instances where ex-customers have continued to have access to email accounts much longer than expected and sometimes we perform cleanup activity to identify these accounts and deactivate them accordingly.

Is your friend still a customer of ours? If not, I expect this will the reason they have lost access. If they are, please point them in our direction so we can take a look at things for them.

Best,

Michael_JK
Community Moderator

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

OK.  Thanks for the confirmation.  Perhaps that is the situation with my friend.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Leedschris wrote:

… I have all my archived emails that I cannot lose .... this would be a disaster.

Archived emails in webmail have the same level of resilience as other emails, i.e. none ― if not found in the mailbox's folder hierarchy they are unrecoverable. Consider implement a backup process / routine that results in copies of emails being available outside of webmail.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Leedschris thanks for getting back to us.

Do you know if your friend is still a customer of ours?  If they are, then I am sure we can help.

Regards

Lee_R

danepower
Tuning in

I have had a little wonder of this myself, I have had this email address with blueyonder for over 23 and a half years, its just in these last 2 months I get problems, a good fellow here was very helpful at outlining some of my stupid things I have done lately, chasing down scammers, but in a way, I have done nothing much different in that 23 years except **bleep** some scammers off, I have always made sure, never ever open an attachment. or even a photograph from the net where I dont know someone. No matter how tempting, yes, by answering the email, they know this address is active and they will send more crap, but as long as I do not open their attachments, I cant download their crap onto my computer, its a flood gate I would not like to open, though I will say, I have stopped chasing the scammers, but I do believe that blueyonder will stop their blueyonder emailing.

PeteM7
Tuning in

Regarding the Community Manager’s claim that there are no plans to retire legacy email domains, this extract from the Set-up Guide which I was given by VM when I started with them in 2008 may be of interest:  “You’ll notice that your email address is @blueyonder.co.uk.  We’ll be changing this soon to @virginmedia.com.  Before we do it, we’ll send you an email giving you all the information you need to know about the change – and letting you know if there’s anything you need to do.” 

Seems they forgot to send that email!  I have been without my Blueyonder email for over 3 weeks.  (See my post “Blueyonder email address - authentication error messages“ for further details.)  It has been investigated by the helpdesk and one of the forum team, and they have both escalated the problem; but I am still without access to my mailbox.  Yet I have been a customer of VM continuously for the past 13 years, used my Blueyonder mail every day, and they have collected a large sum of money from my bank account by DD every month.  So I am at a loss to understand why I am being denied access to my mailbox, unless it is true that Blueyonder is indeed being scrapped, as someone in customer services told me, and many customers believe.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@PeteM7 wrote:
this extract from the Set-up Guide which I was given by VM when I started with them in 2008 may be of interest:  “You’ll notice that your email address is @blueyonder.co.uk.  We’ll be changing this soon to @virginmedia.com.  Before we do it, we’ll send you an email giving you all the information you need to know about the change – and letting you know if there’s anything you need to do.”

Ah, those halcyon days, I am not a Virgin Media employee but I remember them well. 

I know back then that Virgin Media had the naive idea that everyone would want to have "shiny new*  @VirginMedia.com addresses aand that was indeed their plan.

After a while they discovered that people actually wanted to keep their old dull Blueyonder and Ntlworld addresses and definitely did not want the hassle of changing email addresses. VM stopped allowing new legacy addresses to be set up so all new email accounts had to be @VirginMedia.com but the old ones carried on. They even migrated all those old email accounts over from the Google based email service to the present in-house email service in 2015. 

Clearly VM have some serious issues with their emails at the moment but it is definitely not down to the closure of the VM's legacy domains.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Changes to email

Having read these posts, in 2022 there are some new  changes.

New customers will not be able to create a virgin media email address and have to use a third party email address so email is no longer offered which is a disadvantage perhaps. The use of free emails is the alternative but they have no support, which was the advantage of a broadband email service which is supported, but I suppose that it costs money to run an email service, once virgin used gmail back in 2015 and it is still listed in my email folders but redundant now.

Existing customers can continue to use primary and secondary email, but can no longer create any new secondary email.

So it looks like virgin media email may  be slowly phased out as customer leave or exceed the 90 days of inactivity , but as long as I remain a customer I assume the email service will continue. 

In the mean time I assume that email support will continue from virgin media and the community forum, for existing customers who still use the virgin media email.

There  have been issue with older emails such as virgin.net, blueyonder and ntlworld and some customers as recent as 2022 were advised that older emails were to be retired such as ntlworld.com

Also my ntlworld email does not receive all emails so may not be reliable, some senders are blocked.

I wonder if the pasword will change from 10 to 64 digits, it has been rolled back to 10 digits.

alf28

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

If Virginmedia can't operate a reliable email service (and the many repeated problems illustrated on these pages demonstrate that they cannot) then it would be a favour to everyone for them to admit it and advise customers to go elsewhere. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.