cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Retirement of NTLworld email addresses

ahmurray
On our wavelength

Hi all,

One of the email addresses on our account has been problematic recently and we've lost access a couple of times.  We called tech support and they've reset it each time, but just now the VM lady said that NTLWorld email addresses were being retired and this was why, and we needed to migrate any important emails over immediately.  I questioned this as it's the first I've heard of it, she said an email was sent out last April to notify customers.  

We are still active customers but both still use ntlworld addresses simply because as long standing customers we had so many accounts set up using them it was always going to be a massive headache to change.  I need access to the account for password resets if I forget my password for websites.

I'm aware that Virgin Media are archiving orphaned ntlworld accounts and also that there have been problems with accessing mailboxes recently, which is all fine.  But I can't believe they are actively retiring all ntlworld email addresses, even for current customers, which is what the VM rep told me tonight?

If this happened surely we'd get months of notice and frequent reminders, not just a single email that neither of us saw?  It's going to cause me chaos if I can't verify my identity using that account that I've registered on hundreds of websites over many years.

I've googled this trying to find out more and can't see any reference to it happening, so I'm increasingly convinced that I've been misinformed (which I'd actually prefer to it being true!)

Can anyone in the know confirm either way what is going on please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ahmurray 

You are correct. What you have been told is utter nonsense.

Provided the Ntlworld email addresses are part of a current VM broadband account they will continue to operate as long as the account remains active.

I will escalate this to the VM Forum Team due to the incorrect information that you have been given.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

30 REPLIES 30

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@ahmurray 

You are correct. What you have been told is utter nonsense.

Provided the Ntlworld email addresses are part of a current VM broadband account they will continue to operate as long as the account remains active.

I will escalate this to the VM Forum Team due to the incorrect information that you have been given.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

HRDTriumph
On our wavelength
My email went doen to day and am an original ntl person!

ahmurray
On our wavelength

Thanks Graham, i did question it repeatedly on the phone but the lady was adamant, I sincerely hope she is wrong as otherwise it’s going to be a real headache for me.

Cheers

Ali

Hi there @ahmurray

Thank you for your post and I am so sorry to hear that this keeps happening to your email! 

As far as we are aware we are not retiring NTL world emails, so as long as this email is attached to an active broadband account with us, we should be able to assist! I'm so sorry for the confusion caused! 

Can I just double check that this email is registered to a current account and what error message are you getting when you try to log in?

Thank you. 

I have a friend who has also recently been told by the call centre that ntlworld email addresses are no longer working.

@Ash_C the error was mailbox unavailable (only visible when using VM Webmail), phone and PC just gave a connection error.  The issue was resolved by the call agent I spoke to last night but she suggested it was only a very temporary reprieve and we should ensure we had copies of any important emails before the account was closed for good at any minute, which just can't be right.  My account has been fine but it's the one I'm most worried about if I lose access without notice.  Both accounts are linked to an active VM subscription.

@Paul Hi there! I'm going to call again for a second opinion and will update here afterwards!

ahmurray
On our wavelength

I called again and spoke to someone else, they confirmed there are no plans to retire ntlworld.com addresses linked to an active account, so hopefully a false alarm!  Surprising as the lady I spoke to yesterday was absolutely certain and sounded very credible.

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What do you do if someone with an NTL address calls in with a problem and you want to end the call as quickly as possible? You give them an even bigger problem to immediately go away and worry about.

(Courtesy of the Call Centre Manual for New Staff – Chapter 1 - How to close down a call)

I’ll confess to making up the manual’s title, but I’m convinced the content exists in a Call Centre somewhere.

I have not seen anything about ntl addresses being shut down. I need to know if it is happening to let people know.