cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restoring a deleted email address

jks2016
Tuning in

Hello

A few months ago I deleted one of my email addresses, because I rarely used it.  However, I now need to use the email address because it is related to a company I deal with.  

As it has been deleted I thought I would be able to open a new account using the old email address only for Virgin to tell me the email address is already in use.

Can anyone offer advice on how I can restore the old email address or re-open it as a new account please?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
AFAIK no email system anywhere allows this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

You can't do what you want. An address once deleted can never ever be recreated or recovered for the existing VM account or any future new account. To allow such an action would be a serious compromise to email security worldwide.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you for your reply.  It's a shame, but my fault for deleting it.

Can you please clarify 'To allow such an action would be a serious compromise to email security worldwide'.  I am interested how restoring a personal email address would compromise email security worldwide.

Thank you for your help

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

I knew you would ask that. Think about it yourself - it opens the way for impersonation fraud.

Thank you for your reply

I do understand the reasons why, but had hoped Virginmedia would have checks, etc in place to identify a fraudulent resurrection on an email account.

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
AFAIK no email system anywhere allows this.

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hib @jks2016

Welcome to the community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us. 

Apologies, as so helpfully advised by @HowardML, we are unable to retrieve an email address once it's been deleted. You should be able to create a new email address online via your My Virgin Media account. 

Any further issues please let us know 🙂 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi Sofia

Many thanks for your email.

Creating a new email address will not solve the problem unfortunately, it is the deleted one that I need to be able to use, but many thanks for you help

Jill

Really sorry for any inconvenience caused Jill. 

Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Kind Regards

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs