Menu
andiem1
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Reset Virgin.net email password

My mother has tried to reset her email password as for some reason her password had stopped being recognised.  A message comes up saying to contact me (her daughter) to reset.  I think I set up the account for her many many years ago I've no idea how to do this as I can't remember original account set up details!  I've tried calling Virgin but it is proving impossible to speak to anyone going though the various options, the line then goes dead.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Reset Virgin.net email password

Have a read of this, it may explain the situation: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
0 Kudos
andiem1
Joining in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks SDC.

Though does seem crazy that they have blocked access to the email and MyVirgin Media access to enable their customer to view their expensive bills each month!
0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@andiem1 wrote:
... Though does seem crazy that they have blocked access to the email and MyVirgin Media access to enable their customer to view their expensive bills each month!

I'm not sure that I understand what you mean by that.

If you're still the VM broadband account-holder you should be able to access your VM profile, using your primary account credentials, and admin each and every associated email account. If the virgin.net email account in question isn't listed in either "My Profile" or in "Manage accounts", it's not associated with that VM broadband account and is therefore either an orphan or is associated with a different VM broadband account. You should also be able to access your bills via "My Virgin Media".

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
0 Kudos
andiem1
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I'm struggling to understand myself.  My mum had an ntlworld sign on to access Virgin Media bills - this now says "username unknown" and her Virgin.net email address (where Virgin send notification of bills) has stopped working.  I'll need to get my elderly mum to call Virgin from her Virgin phone  (which she will struggle with explaining), as I live miles away and cannot get to speak to anyone to try to resolve as I am not the account holder.

0 Kudos
SDC
Super solver
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@andiem1 wrote:

...I'll need to get my elderly mum to call Virgin from her Virgin phone  (which she will struggle with explaining), as I live miles away and cannot get to speak to anyone to try to resolve as I am not the account holder.

That should be an interesting call, depending on where the other end is located. Offshore's record of dealing with orphan accounts is... patchy.

Just to clarify, VM will (or should) only deal with the VM broadband account holder.

0 Kudos
Biscuit_Barrel
Just joined
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I read the "Orphaned email addresses" message and the warning about the orphaned account may be disconnected without warning.
I got these kind of messages around 2005/2006 and so got another email address set up elsewhere. I set up web-forwarding from my virgin email address to my new address but the old email address still works. I'm still waiting for "at any time", 12-13 years later!

With this in mind. If you consider that there's be some personal information kept on this old/orphaned profile, then how would the GDPR rules affect Virgin?

I did contact Virgin a few years ago, trying to get the account removed, but apparently, this wasn't possible without a customer reference number.
Hmmmmmm

0 Kudos