cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Request to verify email account which is about 10 years old?

Ronnie3
Joining in

I have received and email from [REMOVED] with a link to verify my email account.  Is this from Virgin?  Why do I need to do this after about 10 years?  It links to a page with seemingly no real identifying features only another link 'verify'.  Not understanding phishing very well it needs more info for people to feel confident!

[MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post.]

4 REPLIES 4

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That email address is nothing to do with Virginmedia.

Unless you have business with @Cox.net treat it as a phishing attempt.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Ronnie3 wrote:

<snip>  Not understanding phishing very well it needs more info for people to feel confident!

The Met Police has published a range of booklets on all types of scams and fraud

https://www.met.police.uk/littlemedia

should you wish to read up for further info.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Ronnie3 wrote:

I have received and email from nanaj@cox.net with a link to verify my email account.  Is this from Virgin? 

No it's not!

Why do I need to do this after about 10 years? 

You don't - this is a typical phishing tactic

It links to a page with seemingly no real identifying features only another link 'verify'.  Not understanding phishing very well it needs more info for people to feel confident!

When dealing with emails you should always adhere to the following.

1.  Don't click links in unexpected emails!
2.  Don't open attachments in unexpected emails!
3. Never supply information after clicking a link in unexpected emails!

You can report the mail by forwarding it as an attachment to phishing@virginmedia.com 

Also be aware that scammers will often lift images and other assets from genuine sites in order to make linked pages appear genuine.

The vast majority of companies including Virgin Media will NEVER ask to verify information in this way.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks to those who responded.  These phishing emails so often just sow a seed of doubt!  This one did by also sending to 'virginwebteam....', why that would be done I have no idea and how it got past Virgin in the first place is worrying.  I have now sent to phishing@virginmedia.com.  Regards