Menu
DABhand
Super solver
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Remember when you could change email information

Like when you could log into your account online set up aliases etc, well tonight somehow my main email addy I have used for years for correspondence was somehow replaced on my account with an old dead email addy as the main account email.

Trying to get this fixed has been an uphill struggle.

So VM you really need to re-implement those options because now I cannot get into my email addy somehow the password is wrong and I cannot reset it, have tried to call in to faults but every 20-30 mins I am kicked from the queue, it isn't fun I tell you.

Majide!
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Remember when you could change email information

Hi DABhand,

Thanks for posting. I am sorry to hear of the issues you've had with your online account.

Have you managed to get this fixed since posting? Please let me know if you need further assistance. 

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Oh No I haven't.

I have had the worse time talking to a 2nd Line guy who was more interested in trying to prove me wrong every step of the way than actually help.
I have to wait 5 days, which in VM terms is more like 2 months to get anything fixed, and if I have to call faults and 2nd line again I have to tell them that the email login in for the online account is different from the attached webmail address which should both be the same, it has changed since Tuesday 8/10/19 which in the morning I could access my mails no problem, late afternoon it shown a password error, and that is how I found out the wrong webmail is attached to the online account.

NOBODY SEEMS TO BE ABLE TO FIX IT.

Right now I am self-employed/employed, I am currently working for a developer in the US every week we get an email with log in details for security reasons, and I am unable to contact anyone to change my email to something else. So for all I know right now... work I have been assigned is frittering away and I lose money from this. Also my banking, even your bills go into the email I lost access to.

And you know what, nobody in India on faults or 2nd line give a damn, its constant prove the customer wrong all the time.

All I want is for the webmail addy on the account to be the same as the online account login email ID, like it has always been until Tuesday.

It's disgusting a media company can't do this simple instruction or fix, and even then we no longer have proper email tools to create aliases and manage them like we used to have. It's all a joke, now my email addy is in limbo filling up with important emails I cannot get access too, because I can't change the password to it because it is no longer tied to the online account.

You know I am getting quite fed up repeating myself the last 3 days. A post I made about this was moved from Email > Customer Cable Enquiries, why???

Majide!
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@John_GS 

I'm going to sum up Dabhand's problem a little more succinctly.

Essentially there are strange things afoot with his email login.  I'll explain using made up email addresses.

currentemailaddress@blueyonder.co.uk
outdatedemail address@blueyonder.co.uk

When he logs in to Webmail with the username - currentemailaddress@blueyonder.co.uk

He ends up logging in to the account oldemailaddress@blueyonder.co.uk

Now for the hard bit.

While this SHOULDN'T be possible - it can happen under some circumstances, in fact in the past I was able to do this from the My Profile page so I ended up using a virginmedia.com address as the username for my own blueyonder.co.uk email address - although it took me two steps to achieve.

However doing this caused me all sorts of issues even after I changed the username back to the correct address - Including password changes in My Profile not being synced with the POP3/IMAP/SMTP backends.  The fix for this had to be escalated to IT by the Forum Team.

Certain posts have led me to believe that phone support have sometimes done this inappropriately too.

However what needs doing is IT going back in and fixing the account so that the username logs in to the correct webmail accounf once more and also checks that the LDAP backends are all synced up correctly.

@DABhand typically Virgin Media would suggest that such a matter would need 7-10 days to resolve, wile it may be fixed sooner - Virgin Media would be unlikely to give any quicker fix estimate than this,

Tim

P.S.  Having read your other post I would like to say - What rock have you been living under?  Virgin Media haven't used Google for email since 2016 😉

P.P.S.  You know what I think about relying on free email for business use, or you should do if you've followed my posts over the years.

Don't do it!!

While I appreciate you are self employed - having your own domain hosted with a business class service is a far better option.  It's more professional looking and you get proper support if something goes wrong.

P.P.PS - Love your profile pic - "The nature of Monkey was irrepressible!" - ROFL

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Highlighted
DABhand
Super solver
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The only reason they are using that email addy for correspondence is because it was used for a spec-email to ask for work, so they set up the account under that name, I asked them if it can be changed but they cannot change it as the account they created was under that email as a login.

However one thing is for sure once I regain control of the email, whenever the hell that will be - maybe never, I will migrate everything to somewhere else, the lack of support and tools available that was once accessible to make aliases and easily change passwords is gone. I don't think the execs at VW understand how important those are.

I wasn't sure if they have fully migrated from google services or not, I felt possibly the lack of the above mentioned tools for us was because possibly google still had control, perhaps of old blueyonder aliases.

Another problem is this, if i could set up a new online account via the main one and attach my email addy to it as the webmail so I can change the password that would be good, however.... new online accounts can only accept virginmedia email aliases, which destroys that easy fix out the window.

Seems 2nd Line are again useless, even more so the Indian agent I spoke to just didn't have a clue or was too interested in proving me wrong at each step which was annoying, I never get angry on the phone but I came close. Why he even works as 2nd Line I have no idea - his knowledge was limited, very limited.

So will have to wait, but I have a funny feeling any correspondence from the IT team will be done through email, which would be the biggest laugh out considering I wouldn't be able to read it, and would sum up Virginmedia's lack of empathy with customers.

Majide!
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The facility to add/change blueyonder addresses/aliases was removed - I presume because once the company rebranded as virginmedia.com - they didn't want people adding new blueyonder.co.uk or ntlworld.com email addresses.  In fact originally Virgin Media considered migrating people on the old domains to the equivalent virginmedia.com address, although this had to be scrapped as there were pitfalls associated with this.

I only ever had one blueyonder mailbox with several aliases so it's never been much of an issue fir me I'll admit.  But I do understand what you are saying.  Do the secondary blueyonder addresses (not aliases) not show up under additional accounts?

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
DABhand
Super solver
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Nope they don't show up. Or else it would have been easy to set a password that way.

Majide!
0 Kudos
VMCopperUser
Trouble shooter
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

My main account email isn't attached to my account either :/... Bit odd that.

Just to throw this out there, have you logged in using the browsers private mode?... In the past when I would log into my account page or email, it would try to forward me to my wife's email.  Then some things wouldn't work because it wasn't the main account email.  Not happened to me in a long time, and it doesn't sound exactly like what your seeing, but perhaps it is worth a go.

I am able to manage my other email addresses without issue (ntlworld) via https://my.virginmedia.com/my-profile/listUsers  so perhaps this problem is just isolated to you.  Using https://my.virginmedia.com/my-apps/email/mailbox in "private" mode in the browser would be my first try.

----
I do not work for VM, but I would. It is just a Job.
Most things I say I make up and sometimes it's useful, don't be mean if it's wrong.
I would also make websites for them, because the job never seems to require the website to work.