Menu
deangar7
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: virgin.net orphaned account

Evening. 

after having a Virgin.net email address for years, it stopped working on Monday this week. Password not working and security not working either.

In an attempt to try and get an answer Ive been bounced around virgin media and talk talk customer services with each passing the buck.

Not having access to this email address means I don’t have access to various services I’ve signed up to Pay pal. Ebay etc etc.

Can anybody advise how I can gain access (even temporary) to this so I can clear up this account and email contacts that this will be no longer available?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I moved this post to its own thread because it was appended to a long solved one. That is a recipe for it getting overlooked.

The short answer to this question is that as you are not a VM broadband customer (my assumption) there is nothing VM will do to give you access to the address.

The bouncing between VM and Talktalk is supremely annoying and displays a depressing and continuing ignorance amongst VM staff as to the fact that virgin.net addresses remained under VM control despite the sale of some customers using the old VM national service to TT.

Frankly I am not sure that I should be trying to give people access to accounts they are not entitled to have. But I'll give you a hint and you'll see what happens. This has a slight chance of working. If it doesn't that is the end of the line.

When you log into VM web mail use the forgotten password link to try and reset your password. This will only work if you have set security questions for the account. You may have to try the answers in upper and lower case letters.

When VM staff pick up this thread all they will offer is their help to delete the address permanently. Indeed VM are actually running a programme of deletion of this type of address at the moment. You may have been caught up in that.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

First of all talk talk have nothing to do with this issue.  That they do is just a continuing myth pushed out by VM telephone support.

Do you have a current VM broadband account?  If not the only help that VM can provide is to ensure the account is fully deleted as should have happened sometime ago.

If you haven't already done so try answering the security questions in Uppercase letters.  This has allowed some ex customer to retain temporary access to the account.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

arthurking
Tuning in
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I think I started the thread from which this new thread on the same subject has been started (for the good reason mentioned).

I had a virgin.net account from soon after Virgin Internet started in the 1990s, at first on a dial-up basis.  Long story short, Virgin Internet morphed into Virgin Media providing services only over their own cable network.  Customers without access to Virgin Media cable (like me) ended up with a virgin.net account for free - which was obviously not a sustainable model - and VM sent me many emails explaining that my account would soon be cancelled unless I transferred to VM - which was impossible where I lived.  So I migrated all my important 'stuff' to another email address.  But it took many years for VM to finally 'pull the plug' and even when my account stopped working it remained possible to 'resurrect' it by changing my password, as mentioned above.  Very odd, and it only worked a few times.

Eventually, of course, it was permanently cancelled though goodness knows why it took so many years.  I can't honestly complain about it being cancelled as I had enjoyed many years, maybe ten or more, of free email.  My only complaint is that VM couldn't or wouldn't offer any means for me to keep my virgin.net account, even for a fee.  It would be interesting to know the percentage of VI customers who could not move to VM even if they had wanted to.

I appreciate this is all history now but it's disappointing when a company abandons customers in this way.  It certainly doesn't encourage me to think of moving to VM if/when their service arrives in my neighbourhood.

0 Kudos
deangar7
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply and advice. 
I tried this resetting password using this and ....... it worked. So thank you very much. 
Gives me a chance to sort out all the stuff I need to.