cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Virgin Net old email address needs deleting

rt85
Tuning in

Evening All,

I have exactly the same issue - been going on for years, though recently the SPAM has got a lot worse than it once was - suspecting my old virgin.net account got hacked at some stage, though it has been well in excess of 10 years since I've been with Virgin for Broadband - moved on back in the days of Virgin Net, when they wouldn't offer Fibre Broadband services in my area (unlike BT etc at the time).

Anyway, I've previously been sent around the houses on a wild goose chase by the VM call centre, who then sent me to TalkTalk (even though I have never been a customer of TalkTalk!). It's getting incredibly frustrating trying to get to the bottom of this, so would also appreciate some help on the same.

Thanks 

Ryan

9 REPLIES 9

rt85
Tuning in

P.S. I always understood from their terms at the time that all email addresses would be deleted from the servers after 90 days....now more like 9000 and counting...

Emily_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for the post Ryan and welcome to our community.

We would need to try pass some security on the account the email address is on, I'll pop you over a private message to do so.

Thanks, Emily.

Sure, thanks Emily for the prompt response and welcome!

Good Day,

To whoever monitors this / is interested...

I have to say I'm quite baffled by the fact that, despite trying to get this issue resolved for 6 months with no permanent solution to overcome this issue, I've just received an 'Unsolicited Message' notification from the Virgin Media Community Mods for replying Privately to a Private message I'd previously received on the same issue.

It really seems to me that I'm being given a massive run around by Virgin Media in several ways here - I've tried to contact the Customer Call center (who won't deal with me as 'I'm no longer a customer') and although one of the Mods here in this community kindly passed my issue onto the Virgin Media Technical Team, which temporarily appeared to resolve the issue it now continues to reoccur. Quite clearly my old account was compromised at some point in the past, after I left Virgin Net, and I would have thought this would also be in Virgin's interests to resolve...

It does make me wonder what I actually have to do now to draw a line under this once and for all? I really don't believe I am being unreasonable with my request to delete my old Virgin Net email address and all Auto-Forwarding rules given this this should reside on Virgin's legacy servers.

Is anyone else in the same boat with legacy Virgin Net email addresses still sending out SPAM via Auto-Forwarding rules etc, even though all user details should have been deleted within 90 days of terminating the contract (over 10 years ago).

It looks like I personally now have no option but to raise my case with the Telecoms Ombudsman - I really wanted to avoid this, so appreciate if someone can direct me to some other route that is likely to get success before I have to 'take a hammer to crack a nut' (so to speak) that would be appreciated.

Thanks

One (now very frustrated) ex-Virgin Customer

Ryan 

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @rt85

Thanks for your post 🙂 

I'm so sorry to hear you've had issues getting in touch with us regarding the closure of the email address, I appreciate this is super frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. You would have had issues sending this as the member of the team you were PMing with no longer works for the business. So sorry about that!

I'm going to send you a PM so we can get this resolved for you. 

Please look out for a notification in the purple envelope located in the top right hand corner of your screen 🙂

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks Sofia, I'll take a look.

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks for chatting with me over PM @rt85

I've now escalated this to the IT team for you and I'll be sure to keep you updated on this. 

Any issues in the meantime, please let me know and I'll happily assist. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thanks Sofia, have a good weekend 

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

No worries 🙂 you too! 

Sofia
Forum Team