Menu
Brogers80
Joining in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Unable to sign in using web mail

I have been having this exact problem too, tried 2 pc's and 2 different browsers (Chrome and Firefox).

A few weeks before Christmas my email app on my phone suddenly stopped fetching my emails so I was forced to use webmail. I regularly used the webmail anyway so whilst it was a bit annoying I dealt with it.

Now my phone has started synching my emails again - but for the past week or so I have been unable to login to the website - just keeps saying I've entered the wrong email address or password. This is clearly not the case as I haven't changed any of the details and the same details still work on my phone.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

@Brogers80

I've taken the liberty of moving your post to a separate thread.

Please be wary about making "me too posts".  Reading your post you didn't have the same problem as the other poster who was reporting problems symptomatic of a specific mail server issue (constant grey dots).  Whereas yours is a problem with the single sign on (Username not recognised).

Be aware too that Virgin Media have frequent purges of Orphan accounts, these purges start with the revocation of Single Sign in access (i.e. Webmail & My Virgin Media) prior to removing the accounts from the mail server proper.

This gives the symptoms you've described.  (webmail not working but mail programs still being able to get mail)

Do you currently have broadband internet with Virgin Media?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
Brogers80
Joining in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I cancelled my Virgin broadband years ago, but have still been using the email address without any issues until now.

My Virgin email address is the one I use for most online stuff so it looks like I need to make some major changes, before it disappears altogether!

Cheers for the info

Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator

I'm assuming this is a virgin.net email address?

Most of the people affected by this are on this domain.  A good proportion of these addresses are linked to old dial up and ADSL accounts.

Virgin are closing down all accounts on this domain that aren't linked to current broadband accounts.  If you use an email client such as Mozilla Thunderbird you can pull any mails off the system before they close down email access via these devices.

(Note:  The virgin.net domain will still exist, it's only the orphan accounts that are being closed.  Current broadband users SHOULD be unaffected).

You do need to act now to rescue your emails - remember to pull the mails off using IMAP so you get everything.  Thunderbird will choose this as the default when setting up the account.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos