cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Pop3 Authentication Errors

TheMasterSimon
Joining in

Hi guys, 
I have just found this email, i haven't been able to use my outlook since 1st of July, i have set my email settings to the new ones on the forum post, but i still can't get it to even log onto the smtp server. 

they are set to pop3/smtp.virginmedia.com, in the outgoing tab, it's set to my smtp server does require authentication, but to use the same settings as incoming, incoming pop3 is port 995, which is ssl, smtp is port 465 and use ssl is ticked, 

if i go to test account settings, it requests network password for pop3 server, user name is my name, no .ntlworld.com, password is the email password, which i know works because i have been using webmail. 

i'm stumped, any ideas please? 

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@TheMasterSimon 

The last paragraph of your post indicates where the fault lies.

The username must be the full email address including the @ntlworld.com part.

Correct that and see what happens.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sadly it's still the same, have added the ntlworld.com anywhere it mentions user name. 

It doesn't make sense,  

Can you try entering the following into a CMD (Windows) or terminal (Linix/MacOS) window,

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com/ -u joebloggs@virginmedia.com:password123 2>&1 | (where findstr && (findstr "235 VM") || (grep "235\|VM"))

Change the email address for your own and the password.

Don't post the command itself - just the result.

Tim

The same command will work for any of the four Virgin Media domains.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

thanks for the reply, it doesn't appear to do anything, just goes back to cursor, i'm still running W7, with 2007 outlook, if this might make any difference? 

curl isn't normally a part of Windows 7 - although you can download a version:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/2710748/run-curl-commands-from-windows-console

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more