cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NTLWorld email account has suddenly stopped working

P3t3N
Tuning in

Same issue. Noticed a couple of days ago that one of my secondary emails from NTL was no longer forwarding and when I went to look all I get is a message that this account is not available at this time and to try again in an hour. God knows how many emails I've missed and I can't currently phone in for help. Tried changing the password but nothing works.

Help?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@P3t3N wrote:

when I went to look all I get is a message that this account is not available at this time and to try again in an hour.

That error message means that your account is locked at the moment,Possibly because VM have detected possible suspicious activity such as a hacking attempt on the account.

Since you have tried resetting the password and still cannot access the account your best bet is to wait until one of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this Forum) picks up on this thread in a day or so. However, in the meantime, you might like to recheck and try to access your account again because the reset process can take up to 15 minutes to take effect.

Provided you still have a live Virgin Media Broadband account the Forum Team will be able to re-enable the account. Unfortunately, if you are no longer a paying VM broadband customer there is not a lot that can be done.

Sit tight and one of the team will contact you via the forum and take your details via the forum Private Message (PM) facility.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@P3t3N wrote:

when I went to look all I get is a message that this account is not available at this time and to try again in an hour.

That error message means that your account is locked at the moment,Possibly because VM have detected possible suspicious activity such as a hacking attempt on the account.

Since you have tried resetting the password and still cannot access the account your best bet is to wait until one of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this Forum) picks up on this thread in a day or so. However, in the meantime, you might like to recheck and try to access your account again because the reset process can take up to 15 minutes to take effect.

Provided you still have a live Virgin Media Broadband account the Forum Team will be able to re-enable the account. Unfortunately, if you are no longer a paying VM broadband customer there is not a lot that can be done.

Sit tight and one of the team will contact you via the forum and take your details via the forum Private Message (PM) facility.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thanks, I went back to check again and can now get in. There was a suspicious activity email about forwarding to a third party account, which, looking at it, was my actual normal main email, so apparently it was locked for forwarding to myself, which I've been doing for years.

Hopefully I wasn't misreading things, but I think I'll migrate away from that account in the future.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@P3t3N wrote:
Hopefully I wasn't misreading things, but I think I'll migrate away from that account in the future.

Thanks for coming back and I'm glad you are back in now.

It is possible the suspicious activity warning was a false alarm but it would do no harm to follow all the advice here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-my-email-has-been-hacked 

To be honest though, if you are concerned about email security you would be well advised to set up an email account with one of the dedicated email providers. Gmail and Microsoft Outlook.com  are the market leaders and offer a much higher level of security than VM's email service. However, there are many others.

By moving away from an ISP email account you will also be future proofing yourself because if  / when you move away from VM broadband you will lose the right to use their email accounts.

Coenoby

Yeah, that's a good idea, it was mostly an old address anyway, but had a fair few bits linked to it so it will take a while to track them all down. Still not sure if it was flagging my address or something else, as the alert email seemed to have extra weird links at the bottom, which may as well be in a foreign language to someone my age.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

We're pleased to see this has been resolved @P3t3N,

If you can please come back to this thread if you have any further issues with the E-Mail account and we'll seek to look into this for you

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Thanks, my account had been hacked

Hi Safetykit5, 

Sorry to hear your account had been hacked. Has this been resolved for you now? Do you require any further support? 

Let us know and we will offer you any additional help you may need. 

All the best. 

Molly