cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: NTL email has stopped working!

Adz1976
Tuning in

Hi Team

I have an ntlworld email account and mine has also stopped working yesterday.

I can login via webmail and send a email but outlook and my iPhone have both stopped working.

Incoming Mail is working on outlook and iPhone but outgoing smtp is not sending.

pops up with username and password box.

I deleted email account in outlook and tried to connect again but getting server error and won’t complete setup.

definitely something wrong as never had any issues for years.

Its as if the smtp settings have been changed as they are not recognised ??

spoken to customer services but they we’re trying to get me to pay for technician to connect to my PC and phone.

I’m in IT networking myself and this is a definite virgin server side issue.

Especially that there is another person above having exact same issues as I am starting on the same day

Hope you escalate this issue quickly as it’s important this gets resolved very soon.

M
any thanks

Adam

11 REPLIES 11

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window or otherwise a Terminal. and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi Very Insightful Person

Here are the results as requested.

[MOD EDIT: Personal info]

Thanks Adam

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It is unfortunate the instruction not to post the resulting curl output here was ignored ending with the exposure of your email address and password. As a matter of urgency:

• sign into My Virgin Media
  • select Account Settings > Account Details > Edit (located adjacent to Password) and follow the instructions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The VM305 error shown in the resulting curl output indicates your network's public IP Address appears on Spamhaus's lists, to confirm this perform the following steps from the device that cannot send:

1. browse to https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ip&ia=answer and note the Your IP address is value
  2. go to https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/
  3. enter the Your IP address is value (from step 1) in the Search single IP, domain or hash field and select Lookup
  4. follow the advice offered

NB be aware that if the network is not your home Virgin Media broadband then the public IP Address for that network maybe shared between its users, for example when using a mobile network. In these cases you are unlikely to be responsible for the Spamhaus listing and therefore there is nothing you can do to resolve the issue — the workaround is to (a) use webmail to send emails; (b) connect via another network

Hi

Username and password are not shown in the curl. I deleted them as you can see.

Thanks

Adam

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Adz1976, I have sent you a private message explaining where the compromise appears, see vm-private-message.jpeg(located top right).

@Adz1976 wrote:

Hi

Username and password are not shown in the curl. I deleted them as you can see.

Thanks

Adam

Your email address is a***.p***@ntlworld.com and your password starts with M.

I’m afraid you absolutely have coughed up your details.

Hi jem101

Yeh, didn't realise the curl data included encrypted data which could be cracked!!

Password has been changed now.

Thanks for letting me know

Adam

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Adz1976 wrote:

Yeh, didn't realise the curl data included encrypted data which could be cracked!!

curl's interaction with servers is secure as is the data it transmits. The output  it produces when in verbose mode is no different to that an email client, browser, or other client application might when in a similar verbose logging mode. It is regrettable that the instruction not to post curl's output here, Re: NTL email has stopped working! - Virgin Media Community - 5236992, was not followed but given events the best outcome was an immediate change of password which has occurred.