cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Mailbox Deleted

Help4
Joining in

Hi Zak_M,

Same issue for me. Accidentally deleted subfolder on my NTL inbox. Called and spoken to different VM people, none seem to really want to help.

Have this email for many years, really need to get the folder back and email within. All other email based servers...google, windows, outlook seem to have facility to recover but believe you will I've heard from the person I've spoken to "sorry, we mainly provide broadband, tv services, not really an email only provider so can't help you! What an unhelpful excuse for a bad customer service. When I've asked for her/his name I was told my complain won't go anywhere. Shocking, but so disparate that coming here to ask for any kind soul to help!

5 REPLIES 5

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Help4  Recovery will depend on how you deleted the folder.  If this was done in the VM webmail client then it may well still be in the Deleted folder and therefore can be moved back to the main area.

If it doesn't appear in the deleted/trash folder then the folder and contents are permanently lost unless you have another off line backup.

VM do not provide a backup service for their email offering.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks Graham!

Deleted from MAC. Checked VM webmail after speaking to Apple and not in the bin nor in deleted folder either. Unbelievable...to think that such a simple thing can't be done by VM in support of customers. Guess if no money isn't coming they won't think to go that extra mile....
Sad to say no backup. Lesson learned.
Moving all my folders to a more user friendly server and closing my VM account.
Thanks for your help!

BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Historically, the VM T’s and C’s which you signed up to, explicitly or implicitly, have always said this or similar - 

Email use

6.5. It is your responsibility to back up the contents of your email account.

There are numerous examples on this site of “lost emails” - usually caused by a failure of the user to understand how easy it is to “accidentally” delete lots of emails by hitting the wrong buttons on their smartphone or tablet for instance – or failing to understand the downside consequences of managing emails via multiple devices.

No major (free) email provider will guarantee to recover lost or deleted individual email data. In a recovery situation their focus is to be able to recover the service following any major failure, from the system backups. The policy of various email providers about individual email data recovery varies from - “if it’s not in Trash it’s gone” - to “we will also look in some of our backup disc storage which we recycle every 7 days approx”.

Some popular services - for example - say this -

Gmail - “When you delete a message, it stays in your Trash for 30 days. After that time, it will be permanently deleted from your account and can't be recovered.”

Yahoo - “If any of your emails have been deleted or gone missing in the last 7 days, you can submit a restore request and we’ll do everything we can to try to recover your lost messages.”

Microsoft Outlook.com - “When you accidentally delete an email message from your Outlook on the web email, you can recover those items if they're still in your Deleted Items folder, and in some cases, you can even recover items after the Deleted Items folder is emptied.”

VM’s policy is similar to Gmail – but the Trash is (allegedly) emptied after 7 days, not 30.

Please choose any new supplier carefully.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Does Mail still display a warning that “Deleting a mailbox permanently removes it and any message it contains. This action cannot be undone”, as shown below?
2022-04-02.jpeg
If it does then regardless of email service the content would not have been recoverable.

Have you checked that there are no Time Machine and/or iCloud backup of Mail?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Help4

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

Are you able to advise on the above suggestion(s) and questions? We'll be able to assist further if so 🙂

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs