Menu
Highlighted
peterbays
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Get acces to old @ntlworld.com email account

Hi,

I have a working ntlworld account which I have used for the last 20 years.  I can add my ntlworld account to the virginmedia one to see what's in the account  but I would like to change the account password and can't seem to access the account settings to change it.

I am a current Virginmeida customer

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

peterbays
Joining in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham,

The problem is that the account doesn't exist in My profile or when in Manage Accounts.  I can see all the incomming email when the ntlworld account is added to Outlook and can add it as a linked account to a Virgin media profile, again, so I can see the emails and folders.  I can access it through both of these using the password I have used for years and can see all the email, but can't access the account setting as it is just reading the emails into my Virgin Media email.

I have emails going through the account every day, so it's all working fine as far as I can make out.  But what happens if someone hacks into the account? I can't change the password. At least they can't change the password!

What I need to be able to do is to open the ntlworld account as a stand alone account, i.e., not a linked one, but when I try to open it by putting in the email address and the password into the email start page on the Virgin site (I know the password to be working as I can get the emails into Outlook) it just says that the acccount is not recognised. Very frustrating.

Thanks for the reply though.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

This is almost certainly an orphan account:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

The chances of it being reunited with your current VM broadband account are slim because the process that does it (if it works and it doesn't always) will wipe clean all your existing e-mail addresses and contents on the VM servers.

The VM Forum Team really need to look at this for you. It'll take them about a week to get to this thread and help. If you post again you'll go to the back of the queue!

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi peterbays,

As per Howards' advice - there is a possibility that we could link your old ntlworld email address to your current Virgin Media account. But you would only be able to retain either your current email addresses or the old ones, not both.

Let me take a look from here and then we'll see what options are available to us. I've sent you a PM (purple envelope icon, top right of page) and II'll await your reply Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Peterbays,

Just to confirm this is all now resolved. Took awhile but got there in the end. Thank you for your continued patience throughout. Do come back to us on here if any future help is required. 

All the best Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos