Menu
DaffyH3
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Email unavailable - again

I am having the same problem, with my mailbox being unavailable on an almost daily basis until I reset the password, and it seems to occur when I use Microsoft Outlook to download and reply to emails, rather than when I use the web mail. As per the link you posted, this is apparently due to Virgin's spam and abuse system being updated. I have run a full scan of my system and found no malware - so it appears that Virgin have decided that Microsoft Outlook is malware! Admittedly I am running an older version (2013), but I have been using it to download and reply to my Blueyonder emails on the same machine since 2014 with no problems until a couple of weeks ago, so why should Virgin now deem it to be malware?.

I have twice received the email from internet-security@virginmedia.com warning of "suspicious activity", and the second one was directed into the spam filter of my webmail. So it appears that Virgin are locking so many mailboxes and sending so many emails warning of supposed malware, that they are now designating their own emails as spam. You couldn't make this nonsense up! 

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

It is extremely unlikely to be anything to do with you using MS Outlook to send and receive your emails provided that you are using the current secure server settings.  In fact I'm don't think the VM mail servers will have any idea what particular email client you are using.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@DaffyH3 wrote:

so it appears that Virgin have decided that Microsoft Outlook is malware!

I use Outlook to manage all my emails  including VM and I have never been locked out so despite what you are seeing I cannot image it would be caused by Outlook.

When you use Outlook is that on a different device from when you use the VM  Webmail service?

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
DaffyH3
Tuning in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No, it's on the same device. I have currently been unable to get into my mailbox at all via Outlook or webmail since 11am yesterday, even after multiple password resets. I phoned Virgin around noon today, and they told me there is an issue with email and that their engineers are working on it and all locked mailboxes should be unlocked within 48 hours. Even if that happens, I will have been without email for 3 days.

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi @DaffyH3,

Thank you for your posts. We're here to help.

I am really sorry to hear you've been having some email issues lately. What happens when you try to access your email service via the webmail platform on our website?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
DaffyH3
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi Zach -

I get this message and I have been seeing it since 11am on Friday, despite multiple password resets...

Sorry!

Your mailbox is not available at the moment.

Please retry again in one hour and make sure you are using the correct password to access your email from all of your devices.

If the problem continues, please call our team for help on 150 from a Virgin Media phone or mobile, or 0345 454 1111 from any other phone and select option 2. For details about how much it costs to call our team from a Virgin Media home phone, visit virginmedia.com/callcosts. Call costs from other networks and mobiles vary.

I had the same issue earlier today with my secondary account after sending one email via Outlook, but after resetting the password for the secondary account, I was able to access it via webmail again.

I am still unable to access my primary account [REMOVED] even after resetting my password several times, and I assume that this must mean that a security block has been put on this account, because it has been locked 6 times in the past week and I have therefore exceeded the limit for the number of times a password reset can be used to unlock the account. If someone can remove this security block, so that I can reset the password one last time and re-enable the account, I should then be able to access the webmail and I will avoid using Outlook again for the moment so as not to lock the account again.

It would appear that the issue is caused by Blueyonder accounts sending emails from an email client via smtp.virginmedia.com. The updated spam and abuse system cannot tell the difference between a domestic user sending a regular email and a spammer accessing the server. That's my theory anyway.

If someone could unlock my account, or remove the security block on it so that a password reset can unlock it, I would be most grateful.

Many thanks.

MOD EDIT: Personal and private information has been removed from this post. Please do not post personal or private information in your public posts. Please review the Forum Guidelines

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi DaffyH3,

Thanks for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear you aren't able to access your Email, I have been able to locate your account and can see the issue and will be happy to help, so I can help AI will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept?

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi DaffyH3,

I will be more than happy to check this again in a few Days and escalate the ticket then if necessary?

Regards

Paul.

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I meant 10 Days from it being logged the first time, we can escalate on Thursday or Friday if still the same?>

Regards

Paul.

DaffyH3
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi @Paul_DN 

My email started working again this morning exactly one week after it was locked.

I don't know whether this is because IT did something - they didn't send me any notification - or whether there was a security block on it which automatically expired after one week.

Either way, many thanks for your help. 

Tags (1)
0 Kudos