cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Email - 'IMAP access isn't turned on'

Warblers01
On our wavelength

Hi, I'm getting this problem too. I can access my VM mail via the web but not elsewhere (Samsung email app or Outlook on web). I've checked on my mobile (samsung) and I've got SMTP authentication and port 465 already set up - but I'm still getting the 'POP3/IMAP access isn't turned on' message. I've also changed my password on my VM email account and I've done the duckduckgo/spamhaus instructions. What else should I do please??

7 REPLIES 7

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

To make the most of the help available from the community your post was moved form here to its on own thread.

What result did Spamhaus return for your IP Address'; redact before posting here?

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

Spamhaus said "This IP is listed in the Policy Blocklist (PBL)"

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As it states:

Policy Blocklist (PBL) - This is for information only. No action is required (unless you run your own mail server).

So this is not the cause of the issue.

Are you able to send from webmail?

If you have access to a desktop / laptop device connected to the same network then try opening a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes and then post just the redacted part here or the VM error code.

This is what I'm getting in the command box:

< 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)
* Closing connection 0
* schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465
curl: (67) Login denied

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM300 indicates the authentication credentials (i.e. username:password combination) provide to the curl command were invalid. If on reviewing they are found to be correct then try resetting the account's password here and repeating the curl command.

Have reset password again and got this from the command centre:

535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)
* Closing connection 0
* schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with smtp.virginmedia.com port 465
curl: (67) Login denied

Hi Warblers01, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're still having an issue with this despite the help from 用心棒 so far. 

The error code also code mean that your email settings contain an invalid combination of username and password to authenticate your outgoing emails. Your username needs to be your full VM email address, so 'Forum.Team@virginmedia.com'  (or @ntlworld.com / @blueyonder etc) rather than just 'Forum/Team' for example. 

If this is correct already, please remove the email account completely from the client and add back with the new credentials to see if this helps. 

Pop back and let us know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs